Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Continuous problems on the right bank

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Continuous problems on the right bank

I was curious if anyone had some insight into, why, I could be having such problems with my 06 King Ranch.

I have replaced the Cam phaser, timing chain, all plugs, #3 coil pack, Exhaust manifold all withing the last year.

I still have a knocking noise that sounds like it is near #2 or #3 valve.

It seems to be getting louder as the engine warms up.

I just yesterday, realized, it was starting to idle rough and even stall at red lights and when putting in reverse. So I cleaned the MAF sensor, Throttle body, cleaned the air box out and filter. Removed the VCT Solenoid which didn't seem to be damaged or clogged. Can those become stuck? That is one question I have. The Oil and engine both look pristine on the inside. I just hit 150k miles and want to make sure it last for another 150k, but need to get this resolved.

It also sounds like I'm getting some valve lash & knocking noise that sounded like a gas issue at first but after ruling that out. I am wandering if it could be a lifter issue a or possibly a valve spring issue.

Has anyone else had these sort of issues and if so what was the remedy?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 213 Posts

I had some tapping last year that I immediately associated with the lash adjusters (lifters), when I did my phasers and timing components I changed out all 24 lash adjusters and followers. During examination of the lash adjusters, I found 13 of the 24 lash adjusters were bad and would not pump up pressure when priming in oil.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
I had some tapping last year that I immediately associated with the lash adjusters (lifters), when I did my phasers and timing components I changed out all 24 lash adjusters and followers. During examination of the lash adjusters, I found 13 of the 24 lash adjusters were bad and would not pump up pressure when priming in oil.
This is likely the cause of your tapping noise especially if it is present when engine is cold or hot. You can also try listening at your tail pipe. If you hear the metal tapping sound coming out of your exhaust it's seized lash adjusters. While you're in there may want to replace followers too.

Quick Reply: Continuous problems on the right bank