You're ahead of the game for doing a search!
Here's something our resident F150 console (and many other topics) expert GATORB8 wrote up for removing the shifter; I'd think this same write up could be used in gaining access to the light bulb as well. Take a look:
Transmission Selector Lever - Floor Shift
1. Remove the floor console left side kick panel.
2. Lift the console storage lid cover and remove the console finish panel.
3. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the arm of the transmission floor shifter.
4. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the transmission shift cable bracket on the transmission floor shifter.
5. Remove the transmission floor shifter screws.
6. Disconnect the transmission floor shifter electrical connector and remove the shifter from the vehicle.
7. Using a suitable tool, pry forward on the top of the selector lever button and remove the button.
8. Remove the screw, slide the selector lever **** up and remove the ****.
9. Remove the selector lever **** shroud.
10. Disconnect the transmission control (TC) switch electrical connector and remove it from the selector lever housing.
11. Remove the PRNDL bulb from the selector lever housing.
12. Remove the screws and separate the top and bottom halves of the selector lever assembly.
1. Position the top and bottom halves of the selector lever assembly together and install the screws.
2. Install the PRNDL bulb in the selector lever housing.
3. Connect the TC switch electrical connector and install the connector on the selector lever housing.
4. Install the selector lever **** shroud.
5. CAUTION: Do not overtighten the screw or damage to the selector lever **** can occur. Position the selector lever **** on the selector lever and install the screw.
6. Position the selector lever button in place and press in on the top of the button to install.
7. Position the transmission floor shifter assembly in the console and install the screws.
o Tighten to 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.) .
8. Connect the transmission floor shift harness electrical connector.
9. Install the transmission shift cable in the transmission floor shifter cable bracket.
10. Connect the transmission shift cable to the transmission selector arm.
11. Install the console finish panel.
12. Install the left console kick panel.
Give an answer, they learn for the day; suggest a search, they learn for a lifetime.
2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)
Last edited by Bucko; 09-29-2010 at 02:06 PM.