Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Complete Disaster need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Complete Disaster need help

Hey,

Bought a new truck. Lots of upgrades and all that with it. First drive I felt a tiny vibration. This got worse over the week. Tried diagnosing it pretty quickly, most people told me the big 21" rims were out of whack. Alignment guy said 1 is geometerically out of sync, and that could cause the vibration.

While looking for a new tire and rim, i was on the highway going 110 kmh when I completely lost gear. Revs went into the redline all of a sudden. Pulled over. Tried again, level in Drive, but only the tach was moving. I tried reverse as well as 1 and 2 and nothing. Turned the engine of. Underneath it looked ok. Then it wouldnt start back up again. Starter was spinning but not engaging into the fly wheel.

Got it home on a very expensive flat bed and found out this:

The bell housing around the flywheel had sheered badly, right were the starter was bolted to the housing. Hence the starter gear not touching the flywheel.

The Transfer case tail housing ( where driveshaft connects with transfer case) was cracked all the way around in a peeling banana fasion. As well as massive burning inside the housing from the driveshaft.

The driveshaft where it was inside the housing had aluminum fused on to it, were it grinded inside the housing. Also turns out the drive shaft was pretty severly bent.

So I guess the vibrations I was feeling was not a wheel or rim, but he shaft being warped. However, all those things i found does not explain why it was slipping gear. Because there was damage to housing at the end of the transfer case and the flywheel housing the front of the tranny, there is a good chance something inbetween is also damaged.

The question I have is how to check what is damaged. Because the truck wont start I cant just jack it up and try gears etc to see if its the rear diff ie.. With the shaft out (new one ordered) how can you see what went bad inside the transfer case or tranny or both. I dont want to try and fiddle with the starter/flywheel housing if i have to replace the whole tranny anyway. Is there a way to for example physically turn the crank and see if the transfer case moves, or if it shouldnt move or what.

Thanks for any answers.

Last edited by DamianKurtyka; 06-30-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You will have to bring it somewhere or you can do the work yourself and take everything apart.

What year is the truck and how many miles?

Hopefully someone didn't sell you their problem. ( seems like it though )

JT
Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am afraid that if the housings on both the Transmission and the transfer case are as damaged as you imply then you are also looking at having to replace both as well as the drive shaft. You really need to get the transmission out and check the Flywheel/flexplate and output shaft for damage as well. Pretty much sounds like you set off a grenade in the transmission. I would suggest getting used parts at the very least to replace the damaged ones and possibly diagnose any further damage.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lemon laws???

Quick Reply: Complete Disaster need help