Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Common maintenance items

Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common maintenance items

Hello all, I'm a brand new Ford owner; grew up a Chevy guy then just grew up and realized that pretty much every manufacturer has good and bad products, so when I saw an '07 with a blown transmission for a good deal, I scooped it up.

It's a 2007 F150 XL 4.6L 2wd super base model. Was rolled over in 2013, and I bought it with a transmission that only reverses.

Anyway I pulled a transmission from a wrecked 2011 police interceptor with 70k at the local salvage lot and am going to throw it in once the temperature permits, and figured before I got too deep into it I should find out some common repair items in case I need to get anything else while I'm ***** deep in the project.

I got the starter with the trans since I had to pull it anyway, and the truck is at 160,000mi. Apart from the "new" trans/tq converter, starter, and doing the fluid flush/exchange/filter is there anything else I need to be inspecting?

1) Any common issues that I should address or inspect?

2) The engine has a tick on the upper area, likely in the valvetrain, but I'm unsure the entire condition of when it comes up. If that doesn't throw a red flag, then ignore this part because I can't give you any information about how load, temp, or any other condition affects it being that I haven't driven it forward.

3) Do the extended or crew cab models' front bench swap in the the single cab? My seats are a bit torn.

Thanks guys. I look forward to working with the community as I learn more about the vehicle. I'm very mechanically inclined and have a moderate sized toolbox with pneumatics and a compressor, so there are few jobs I can't personally tackle (of course, one being rebuilding a trans - thus the salvage pull)

Last edited by UncleLimpy; 01-25-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Fuel pump driver module above the spare tire. They corrode and can make the truck run bad or not at all. Here is some other good stuff:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/stop-be...l-links-42829/
Old 01-25-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STSCDave
Fuel pump driver module above the spare tire. They corrode and can make the truck run bad or not at all. Here is some other good stuff:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/stop-be...l-links-42829/

Okay good to know. I went ahead and cruised that thread before posting - seems like a good thing I've got a 2wd haha.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2007 4.2L V6 I bought back in March. I have replaced spark plugs and coil pack, O2 sensors, fuel pump, fuel pressure driver module, and fuel pressure sensor under hood. It left me on the side of the road when fuel pump went bad. Once we replaced the fuel pump the fuel pressure sensor under the hood went bad and I was able to limp back to the shop. After all that it has been running like a champ. 105K on it now. I have a ScanGuage to monitor everything and can reset check engine light.
http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Common maintenance items