Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Colibri 3-switch universal power window kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Colibri 3-switch universal power window kit

First off, I would like to say hello. I am new to this forum.
I just recently purchased a 2004 F150 STX 4x4. 80,000 original miles.
I have aftermarket power locks, remote start, and alarm; want to add power windows.

I did some research and searched these forums for any info on using this kit for the 2004 F150 STX. I saw some references to a similar kit but nothing about people actually installing it in their truck.

Anyone have "actual" experience with the 4101-09-P98 COLIBRI 3-SWITCH UNIVERSAL POWER WINDOW KIT?

https://www.electric-life.com/produc...er-window-kit/

It looks fairly simple to install. I have electrical and mechanical experience, so that's not the issue. I'm just interested to see if anyone has installed this kit and how it worked or is still working for them.

Thanks,

Dan.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You and I are in the same boat. I'm looking to ad power windows to my STX as well, but the forum doesn't respond quickly or at all in these topics.

I'm personally not a fan of those types of generic window kits, but have no experience with them. In my search, I came across these:
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=FD83-K

This kit is designed to work with the Super Cab (They have versions for all cab types) and more importantly MOUNT like the OEM parts would have.

This leads me to believe that teh doors in our power less trucks is the same and we may be able to use OEM type parts that bolt on.

I'm getting a remote start before winter hits, so I'm more into looking into power locks to use with the remote starter keys fobs. Same issue as power windows, what fits, what doesn't, will OEM parts and motors fit and unfortunately not a lot of answers on the forum. I've searched and get too many results on the forum that are irrelevant!

If you installed the ones you linked to, how did they work out? Can you post some picks?

Nice looking truck BTW, Mine is red too.
Attached Thumbnails Colibri 3-switch universal power window kit-20151017_154037-edit.jpg  

Last edited by broderp; 10-20-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:10 AM

Thanks. You got a nice truck too... I love red.

I have not pulled the trigger yet to purchase these. I might in the next week or so. I will probably try to video the installation once they get here.

I asked around to some of my car buddies and they said they have used this kit in some classic cars and it works ok. Not as good as a factory unit, but it gets the job done.

The kit you posted looks ok, but is a bit pricey for my taste. Plus you have to supply your own switches and wiring. I'm not worried about it looking factory or anything, it's just for convenience, plus the kit I posted comes with lifetime warranty.

Once I get it I will definitely post something.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:00 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I purchased a kit for less then 70 bucks off of Ebay. After two years, it's still working fine. I think this kit is pricy for just a two window kit.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
I purchased a kit for less then 70 bucks off of Ebay. After two years, it's still working fine. I think this kit is pricy for just a two window kit.
Did you get lifetime warranty though? Its worth it to me to get that.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Nope, but they are overrated. You pay heaps for the warranty, and 95% of the time, never use it. And they're never transferable to the next owner. Most of these door lock and power window kits are made from the same vendor parts; just branded a different "kit" name.

But it's your dime.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DrGriffin
Thanks. You got a nice truck too... I love red.

I have not pulled the trigger yet to purchase these. I might in the next week or so. I will probably try to video the installation once they get here.

I asked around to some of my car buddies and they said they have used this kit in some classic cars and it works ok. Not as good as a factory unit, but it gets the job done.

The kit you posted looks ok, but is a bit pricey for my taste. Plus you have to supply your own switches and wiring. I'm not worried about it looking factory or anything, it's just for convenience, plus the kit I posted comes with lifetime warranty.

Once I get it I will definitely post something.
I'd be interested in how it turns out. I can respect your position on the cost and your priorities. I guess for me it's about not having to drill into the truck and if a motor burns up, it could be replaced for cheap (the kit I'm considering comes with OEM motors) but could be replaced with the generic equivalent. I'm also concerned the F150 windows are relatively large and heavy, and that such a kit may not be up to task from an engineering point of view. I picture them struggling or running full tilt to raise the windows. Something tells me the OEM design is more geometrically efficient and requires less torque to operate than the hand crank. But thats just me. I couls be way off base...

Originally Posted by DrGriffin
Did you get lifetime warranty though? Its worth it to me to get that.
Nope, but they are overrated. You pay heaps for the warranty, and 95% of the time, never use it. And they're never transferable to the next owner. Most of these door lock and power window kits are made from the same vendor parts; just branded a different "kit" name. But it's your dime.
Very interesting points. I suppose to me at his point, if it lasts 1-2 years before the motor craps out, I would be OK for the cost. I would believe trying to get replacement parts under warranty (FOR ME) would be a PIA. I would procrastinate and never do it.

Please keep us informed.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:21 PM

BTW, what size tires and rims you got on your truck? They look "beefier" than what i have on mine. I like!

(I'm running 285/70R17's)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you remember what window kit you bought? I am looking for a kit for mine too.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by broderp
BTW, what size tires and rims you got on your truck? They look "beefier" than what i have on mine. I like! (I'm running 285/70R17's)
Was the tire question for me?
I have 33/12.50/18. On Ultra Goliath wheels.

Quick Reply: Colibri 3-switch universal power window kit