Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cold temps outside 4x4 grind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cold temps outside 4x4 grind noise

So if it's about -14 or colder I get a grinding noise in the front left tire in 4x4. If I take it out of 4x4 it goes away. I had it in to Ford about 3000km before warranty was up I'm now over warranty by 8000km. They have been playing with it over and over to fix the problem. They are now done with me and the problem is not fixed.

They tell me that it's my aftermarket Leveling kit that is putting my front shafts at a bad enough angle. And that when it's cold enough which seems to be colder than -14C the lube in the boot is very thick and it doesn't work as well as it should. The knuckle is grinding a bit.

Now this makes sense but I wanted some opinions. It's true that if it's doing it bad while driving to Ford but when we take it inside to drop off. It sits in the warm bay then they go for a drive the noise is completely gone. But if you let it sit outside in the cold for a half hour or more. The noise is there again. Also if you drive it around the city for 20 minutes or more the noise is gone.

As well they played with it before I drove to Calgary after XMAS. Cold in Regina noise there on and off. We leave for Calgary and the temps are way nicer at -3 to +6..... not a bit of noise. I was in and out of 4x4 all week there including driving to SunShine Village to Snowboard. Drove home in a snow storm in 4x4 but the temps were no where near -14C or colder and not a sound. The next morning we wake up and it's about -25C and what do you know the bloody noise is there.

Has anyone else had this issue? They tell the part will not fail and that the tech wouldn't waste money on replacing it if it was his truck. The good part is I'm sure they could have asked me to pay for the rentals and labor for the 6 times they were trying to fix it. But they didn't ask for a cent (that's why I love these guys and my dealership). BTW to replace with labor both front shafts would be about $1500 with ford parts and $800-900 with aftermarket shafts.

Anyway have you ever had the same issue?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 PM

wow no one has had this issue?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think its the could weather making the grease thick like you said. If the other side isnt doing it i would change the axle on that side myself and save some money.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Unfortunately they are right. The grease gets thick starting at @ -15 to -20 and you will grind a little bit. It got down to 0 here and my 4x4 was acting up but that was because I had too much grease and it thickened up when it got really cold.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Thats to d*** cold. Glad i live in fl.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Yeah it was -30C the last few days and -50C with the wind chill. It didn't sound too healthy when in 4x4. Lucky not much for snow and ice so I didn't really need to be in 4x4. Should warm up in the next week or so and I'm sure I'll not have to worry till next winter. I'll change it up by then. The plan right now is to buy a Raptor in 2-3 years from now so if I change it this summer/fall it will be good till I sell it.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Mine does this too. At about -20 c. And colder I get a grinding/vibration out of the front left in 4x4 high.

Talked to one guy at the dealership and he said There's a solenoid that sticks abit and causes the teeth to grind a bit. He said it was a common problem and covered by warranty.

Tried to book it in today with another guy and he said he had never heard of that in a 150. So I suppose I'll have to wait for next winter lol
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

The grease does thicken up. I ended up swapping my axle and fixed the issue. That was when the wind chill got down to -5 here in AL this past winter. You could also try breaking it down and try removing some of the grease if some is in between the axle and actuator. Just be careful not to strip the little axle nut.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew878
Mine does this too. At about -20 c. And colder I get a grinding/vibration out of the front left in 4x4 high.

Talked to one guy at the dealership and he said There's a solenoid that sticks abit and causes the teeth to grind a bit. He said it was a common problem and covered by warranty.

Tried to book it in today with another guy and he said he had never heard of that in a 150. So I suppose I'll have to wait for next winter lol
Hi Andrew,

Have you tried getting a second opinion from another dealer? They might be able to get the same diagnosis as the first tech you mentioned.

You can find another dealership here.

Please send me your truck's year and odometer reading; I'd also like to look into options for you.

Bianca

Quick Reply: Cold temps outside 4x4 grind noise