Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

coil packs/spark plugs and shock/strut help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil packs/spark plugs and shock/strut help

I just recently bought a 2006 f150 lariat with 127k. It now had 130k.

the truck has 8 accel coil packs

the guy i bought it from said he changed spark plugs out at 90-100kish with champion 1 piece (im not a fan of them as I've heard issues about them but no issues with mine yet) so I pulled a coil off and checked the plug the plug looked clean just had this orangeish rust look on the shield (from anti-sieze?) when i pulled the coil off the coil boot also had the rust/orangish look to it.

was wondering if it there is any issues with the current packs/plugs. I don't want to spend alot of money if I have to atm

Now moving on to shocks/struts... I'm a bit confused is there struts in front and shocks in back?

anyways the previous owner said hes never replaced shocks/struts... and i figured it's about time.

heres a little info on the truck

2006 f150 lariat 130k

truck has 2 inch spacers on front struts?
and factory 2 inch block in back

I do rub on the inside fender by the firewall side when i lock the wheel.

SO the truck has a "squat" that i want to get rid of as well

tire size 305/55/70 on 20 inch xd's

i was wondering what shocks/struts to get

i've heard great things about rancho and bilstein

Now from what i've heard is it true shocks/struts can't give you a actual lift?

like say the rancho quicklift shocks it doesn't actually lift the truck correct
Old 04-18-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I would use the Rancho Quick lifts and throw out the spacers. The Rancho struts are longer than OEM to give you a little bit of lift 1"-1 1/2"

I have them on my truck when I found the OEM strut spring busted, and it comes fully loaded ready to install. Changing springs to new struts is pretty scary for the DIYer
Old 04-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie930
I would use the Rancho Quick lifts and throw out the spacers. The Rancho struts are longer than OEM to give you a little bit of lift 1"-1 1/2"

I have them on my truck when I found the OEM strut spring busted, and it comes fully loaded ready to install. Changing springs to new struts is pretty scary for the DIYer
didn't think struts can give you a "lift" i thought it was that the strut can accommodate a 1-2 inch lift
Old 04-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Rancho struts are a fixed length which is longer than OEM

The spacers on top of the struts are doing the same, making the overall length of the strut longer

The spacers on the struts were added by the PO. The spacers are not OEM
Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie930
Rancho struts are a fixed length which is longer than OEM

The spacers on top of the struts are doing the same, making the overall length of the strut longer

The spacers on the struts were added by the PO. The spacers are not OEM
Ah
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I've got 103K on my original struts (front) and shocks (rear), and they still work fine. I even tow a Jayco Featherlite camper with it on occasion.

On a 2005 F150, I had to change the front struts though, as they both were leaking (oil was seen on the struts).

I'll guess it depends on the use/abuse/ and perhaps the winter type weather the suspension is operated in.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:04 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

I'll focus on ye plugs, as I don't believe in any sort of geometry-altering, uncorrected spacing of the front suspension, so I'd be of no help, lol.

1. Pull all the plugs, inspect, check the gaps ( 0.045 ), and reinstall with NO A/S - it's not required.

2. There should be NO corrosion in the boots - the feller that did the change forgot to apply silicon dielectric. Hence - replace the boots & springs ( ~$5.each at Napa for Belden ) and apply dielectric properly.
( Refer to: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/18-hour...8/#post4099426 )

3. Accel COPs are a crapshoot. If, after you address the plugs as mentioned above you see misfires, it'll likely be yer COPs. Fer best reliability, use Motorcraft or Visteon COPs.

good luck
Old 04-20-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
I'll focus on ye plugs, as I don't believe in any sort of geometry-altering, uncorrected spacing of the front suspension, so I'd be of no help, lol.

1. Pull all the plugs, inspect, check the gaps ( 0.045 ), and reinstall with NO A/S - it's not required.

2. There should be NO corrosion in the boots - the feller that did the change forgot to apply silicon dielectric. Hence - replace the boots & springs ( ~$5.each at Napa for Belden ) and apply dielectric properly.
( Refer to: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/18-hour...8/#post4099426 )

3. Accel COPs are a crapshoot. If, after you address the plugs as mentioned above you see misfires, it'll likely be yer COPs. Fer best reliability, use Motorcraft or Visteon COPs.

good luck
X2, couldn't have done it without MGD, he's the ****
The following users liked this post:
MGD (04-20-2015)

Quick Reply: coil packs/spark plugs and shock/strut help