Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

code Poo12 need answers regarding vct solenoid and phasers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default code Poo12 need answers regarding vct solenoid and phasers

2004 F150 xlt ext cab 5.4 ltr V8 Triton 24valve 4x4 with 195,000 miles
Here is my situation...lost my job recently under great financial strain. Had insurance lapse and registration expired in Arizona . I got nailed and ticket for no registration is 600 plus dollars...if I show up in court with registartion the fine is greatly reduced plus I have to drive the truck...here lies the problem ...my check engine light is on which means they wont pass it through emmisions ..in fact they wont even bother pluging into the truck with a check engine light on. The error code refers to valve camshaft timing being in a retarded positioin ...i make some calls and it appears to replace vct solenoids and cam phasers etc could run me $2500 plus. Yes the truck sounds like a diesel and rattles when starting as it has forever with no issues. The truck isnt running great but most wouldnt notice.
Is there any way to clear this code without having it show in a reset mode requiring 100 miles drive time to reset.A fact they pick up on at emmisonsand a reason not to pass. Is this the death of my truck because the only way to register it will mean coming up with $2500...are there any other ways to address my problem...HELP!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Replace the solenoids first. You need two, and they can be found for $50 each on eBay. You will also need two seals, ~$13 each at your Ford dealer. You need a long Torx screwdriver, NOT a socket driver and Torx bit, to get the VCT solenoid out. If you use a bit, Murphy will bite you and it will fall in the engine. I think it's a T27. I can look when I get home. Ace hardware sells one that's 6" long, which is what you need. Less than $150 in parts and you may be able to fix it. Don't forget to reset the computer (remove the battery for at least 30 seconds) to rest the trouble code.

Quick Reply: code Poo12 need answers regarding vct solenoid and phasers