Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cluster swap yet again

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Cluster swap yet again

For those who have been following the cluster swap posts I have put forth here, I recently got an update on another forum that I used to visit and post on. Seems there are one or two that have had a Lariat cluster flashed to obtain their old cluster data onto the Lariat, and everything works. While the new poster has not reveiled any details, I'm providing the link in case others who want the Lariat to work in their non Lariat truck can follow along and perhaps "push" the issue of getting answers.

Here's the link:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...ml#post4161433
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Crew Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to get pushy... As stated in other post when searching all that needs to be done for the AC to work is have the "as builts" pushed into your truck. call it a "flash" "reprogram" or what have ya.

ANY DEALER CAN DO THIS!!! They use the ford tool to do this. If they cant, it is cause they dont want too...

This will not correct your mileage and that is why most will not do the "swap".

This takes about 20 minutes and they should only charge you a 1 hour labor rate.

This info is no secret, hit up google and do a search.

Now if you want message center to work that is easy as 4 wires and some lil pig tails and the switches.... IT WILL WORK, if done correctly.

Warning You can mess stuff up if it is not done right. So take your time and wire it properly.

Last edited by racinjason68; 04-07-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by racinjason68
No need to get pushy... As stated in other post when searching all that needs to be done for the AC to work is have the "as builts" pushed into your truck. call it a "flash" "reprogram" or what have ya.

ANY DEALER CAN DO THIS!!! They use the ford tool to do this. If they cant, it is cause they dont want too...

This will not correct your mileage and that is why most will not do the "swap".

This takes about 20 minutes and they should only charge you a 1 hour labor rate.

This info is no secret, hit up google and do a search.

Now if you want message center to work that is easy as 4 wires and some lil pig tails and the switches.... IT WILL WORK, if done correctly.

Warning You can mess stuff up if it is not done right. So take your time and wire it properly.
Appretiate the response. I also did research and have posted my findings here, and on other forums. In my searching and calling, I have found that not any dealer can do this, or perhaps they refuse to do it. I won't attempt to assume their reasons, but I have approached dealers about this; and some did not offer "flashing" of your "as builds" info into a newly acquired cluster; perhaps it was due to a mileage not being updated issue, and they did not want to be held responsible in any way for this. I'm going to call my Ford dealer in Dallas this week to see if they will flash my "as builds" info into my replacement FX cluster I'm currently using. I'll post my results.

We agree on the issue that the mileage is not included in this "as builts" data. We have identified speedometer shops that offer this service though. A secondary charge.

Your point of making sure we have the stock tune installed in the PCM before going to a dealership to have the "as builds" data loaded is an excellent warning as well for those folks running with tunes from a tuner.

Thanks to racinjason68 in providing Reedy Ford in Arkansas City, Kansas as a dealer that does this work.

There also was the question of making the AC work with a Lariat cluster in another model F150. Some reports are that there's a "mystery wire" that can be cut and/or spliced to allow the AC to work in non Lariat models with a Lariat cluster swap; others state you need the "as build" data flashed into the donor/replacement cluster. Yet other statements I've read are that the replacement clusters being flashed with the "as build" data only work on 2006 to 2008 clusters.

Again, thanks to racinjason68 for providing this information:

"There is no wire. The guy was talking about moving a wire when you did a EATC in a non EATC truck.

To get the lariat working, you need PCM flashed with AS Builts. Dealer can do this. WILL NOT correct mileage.

The wiring above will work. Just finished mine tonight. Mine only had 4 pins at the switches. Still wired the same.

Lariat does work with all functions in my XLT. MPG, Miles till empty, temp, direction, trip time, trip meter. And on screen truck checkup. Oil press, water temp, and such."

Thanks for the input. It should help quite a few folks out with their Lariat questions.

My final question to racinjason68 is this: what does the 4 wire mod (I posted in another post) actually do? Is it to add the external information center found on some models (on the dash to the right of the steering wheel) to work along with an information center in a cluster?

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 04-07-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Crew Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok the mystery wire is not so much. The wire mod has to do with EATC in other trucks. The wire is the VT wire and there is diagrams on what to do with the wire.

The 4 wire mod has to do with the buttons for the info message on lariat and king ranch cluster. The 4 wires go to the cluster from the buttons.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Cluster swap yet again