Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

cluster swap from xlt to fx4

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cluster swap from xlt to fx4

I have been experiencing the phantom cargo/interior light problem on my 06 xlt and I am finally going to replace the cluster. I am looking to swap out my XLT cluster for an FX4 cluster and I have a couple of questions. I know this topic has been discussed many times and I have spent a great deal of time reading up on it but I am still confused about a couple of things:

When i put in the FX4 cluster, will my temp/compass work?

I have read alot of people experience the cargo/dome lights not turning on when the doors open when they put in fx4 cluster, will this happen when swapping xlt out with the fx4?

Does whether the donor fx4 truck was floor/column shift make a difference in the cluster? (my xlt is column shift) Any other things matter when picking donor fx4 cluster to use for my xlt or are all fx4 models compatible?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:45 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Floor verses column shift will not make a difference; there's a black "plug" that replaces the "P R N D 1 2 " plate that the column shift have; they have the model name printed on them.

As to if the temp and compass will work? I can't answer that one with any confidence. If you had this working in a cluster prior to the swap, I'd guess that yes, it will still work, but can tell you that if you did not have this feature prior to a swap to a cluster that has it, it won't work, even if you install the temp sensor.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the temp/compass do work on the cluster i am replacing

Quick Reply: cluster swap from xlt to fx4