Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cluster Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Swap

I just swapped my cluster and I was wondering if anyone has had any other place beside the dealership to put my correct mileage on it.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Twan
I just swapped my cluster and I was wondering if anyone has had any other place beside the dealership to put my correct mileage on it.
Can't answer your question but I'm interested in the answer. How hard was the swap? My speedometer stopped working a while ago and I need to fix it. It seems like a daunting task though, yet I don't want to pay the dealership to do it. How was it?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 AM

The swap was really simple. I actually had the basic cluster in a STX and put in one from an FX4. everything works the same except i dont have an outside thermometer and the cluster still has the mileage from the donner truck. If want me to break it down for you just pm me.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM

hmm... does the tach work with it? ive got an 07 stx with the basic cluster... its an auto but i still like having a tach, the basic to me is kinda dry and boring... know what i mean

would be nice to throw this one in:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cluster-Spee...item43ad16232b

Last edited by Angerkiller; 02-24-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will have to do it at the dealer now I think unless you still have the old cluster. During the install process the first thing is to hook up the laptop and run IDS, then download the configuration data from the old cluster before installing the new one. The computer transfers the configuration data during the installation process. The data is also available through Ford's website, but can only be accessed from the dealer.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bleufox99
You will have to do it at the dealer now I think unless you still have the old cluster. During the install process the first thing is to hook up the laptop and run IDS, then download the configuration data from the old cluster before installing the new one. The computer transfers the configuration data during the installation process. The data is also available through Ford's website, but can only be accessed from the dealer.
damn i hate going to the dealer, always feel *** raped when i leave... but its nice to know that i CAN get it done, guess anythings possible for the right cash.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Angerkiller
hmm... does the tach work with it? ive got an 07 stx with the basic cluster... its an auto but i still like having a tach, the basic to me is kinda dry and boring... know what i mean

That's the cluster that came stock on my truck. Its nice, but the gray part starts to look ugly after looking at it so much. I've been searching around trying to find a simple sticker that I can put on it so I don't have to swap clusters.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Angerkiller

yeah that will work. it is all plug and play. i almost bought that type myself but went with the FX4 type
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by bleufox99
have you ever heard of the dealer sending the tach out to an outside company to get it done? reason i ask is because that is what i have been told from a few dealerships so far. i just think they may have misunderstood but who know's.

Quick Reply: Cluster Swap