Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'Clunking' Noise From Front-Left When Turning Right Only

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 'Clunking' Noise From Front-Left When Turning Right Only

I have a 2004 2WD supercab. And am hearing a 'clunking' sound when I turn almost full-lock. Below is a summary of what I have experienced so far:

- My truck used to be lowered 2" (below stock) at the front since new. Last month I lifted it (front and rear) and it now sits 2" above stock on new rancho shocks.
- I installed a camber kit and had the front aligned (toe and camber) after the above suspension work.
- The truck drove beautifully for two weeks until one day a 'clunking' sound was heard from the front-left every time I turned left. The alignment also changed as I had to now hold the steering very slightly to the left to drive straight.
- The alignment shop re-did the toe tracking (the camber did not change) and the truck drove great for about a day. Now I can hear the same clunking sound when I turn right and the tracking is again screwed up meaning I need to hold the steering very slightly to the right to drive straight.

Any idea what parts are playing up and what may need replacing?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Does it happen when coming to a stop at all or just turning all the way ? Mine makes a clunk when coming to almost a dead stop and I think it's my sway bar or end links but their brand new
Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like ball joints or end links.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 263 Likes on 213 Posts

Since it happened on the left side first, then the alignment shop worked on it, now it happens on the right side, I suggest having another shop look at it. Sounds to me like if there were any bad or worn out parts, the shop would have spotted that and told you. I would take it to another shop and if they find something, take your receipt back to the first shop and get a refund.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

mine has a slight clunk when coming to a dead stop, then again from dead stop to accelerate. i also feel a little clunk every now and then while cruising. I have replaced everything on the front end even the steering shaft. starting to lean towards the calipers might have some excessive play in them.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check torque on the cams (camber/castor adjustors). They could be just loose enough to be allowing the vulcanized metal sleeves in the bushings to be moving alittle with the stress of turning. And for having to hold the steering wheel the opposite way now to make it drive straight, sounds like they may have looked into your complaint and tried to adjust one of the alignment cams alittle without putting it on the machine to compensate...laziness. I agree with taking it to another shop for inspection.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear;

- the clunking has always been heard from the left side. However, at first it was audible when turning left, now it's audible when turning right.

- the shop only adjusted the camber (and toe) the first time around. The second time they only adjusted the toe. They worked on the alignment in front of me on their hunter laser machine so I know the camber nut had not slipped from the first time around.

As of yesterday, the 'clunk' has got REAL loud. It only occurs when on full (or nearly full) lock. Going around corners on the highway seems to be fine.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Triton54HD
mine has a slight clunk when coming to a dead stop, then again from dead stop to accelerate. i also feel a little clunk every now and then while cruising. I have replaced everything on the front end even the steering shaft. starting to lean towards the calipers might have some excessive play in them.
Have you greased the slip yoke for the drive shaft? I had the clunk on accelerating and every now and then when stopping. Greasing the slip yoke fixed the problem. It is very cheap and easy to do.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dnlow
Have you greased the slip yoke for the drive shaft? I had the clunk on accelerating and every now and then when stopping. Greasing the slip yoke fixed the problem. It is very cheap and easy to do.
oh wow I’m so glad u posted this...
i just did the same thing minus the lower steering shaft.... and said to my self “maybe it’s in the drive shaft (I was leaning toward the u joints or center bearing”...

them saw ur post... so I’m gonna try that...did u pull the whole drive shaft or did u just lube the yoke while the shaft was still on the truck? ? I don’t know the procedure exactly... any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2022, 02:25 PM

This is coming from your driveshaft. The spline is greased and over time dries out. When it does your load on the driveshaft is released at a stop and increased when you take off making the "clunk" you speak of. You need to remove the driveshaft and pack with teflon grease. There is a TSB for this and you can search across the forum called "driveshaft bump" and read about it.

Quick Reply: 'Clunking' Noise From Front-Left When Turning Right Only