Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise

Hi guys, i'm new here, just got a 04' F150 FX4 a few months ago and absolutely love it! However, over the last couple weeks i keep getting a clunking noise coming from the front wheel well area. This happens more often when i'm going in reverse, but if i play with the wheel just right, while moving, it will do it.

I brought it into the shop on friday, and they couldnt find anything. I replaced my UCA and ball joints last week, hoping that was it, and no luck! I installed a 2.5" leveling kit (HBS) a few months ago, but it didn't make the noise after, so i cant see it being that? The truck is very clean, and the previous owner took meticulous care of it!

Any ideas of what this could be?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntO
Hi guys, i'm new here, just got a 04' F150 FX4 a few months ago and absolutely love it! However, over the last couple weeks i keep getting a clunking noise coming from the front wheel well area. This happens more often when i'm going in reverse, but if i play with the wheel just right, while moving, it will do it. I brought it into the shop on friday, and they couldnt find anything. I replaced my UCA and ball joints last week, hoping that was it, and no luck! I installed a 2.5" leveling kit (HBS) a few months ago, but it didn't make the noise after, so i cant see it being that? The truck is very clean, and the previous owner took meticulous care of it! Any ideas of what this could be? Thanks!
Rack and pinion maybe?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Allinkdupp
Rack and pinion maybe?
That's what i was dreading... How would i be able to tell?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:12 PM

That's what i was dreading... How would i be able to tell?
Don't worry I'm probably wrong, but look for a leak and sticky steering but I would have another shop check your cv s and tie rod ends ect... The spacers can cause some things to be out of whack, did you get an alignment?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Allinkdupp
Don't worry I'm probably wrong, but look for a leak and sticky steering but I would have another shop check your cv s and tie rod ends ect... The spacers can cause some things to be out of whack, did you get an alignment?
I'll try bringing it to another shop this week possibly. I never got a alignment, but it is straight as a arrow. Getting new tires soon, going to do a alignment with those.

theres no leaks, or anything by the rack, or any lines going to/from it. So hopefully thats a good sign!
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM

I'll try bringing it to another shop this week possibly. I never got a alignment, but it is straight as a arrow. Getting new tires soon, going to do a alignment with those. theres no leaks, or anything by the rack, or any lines going to/from it. So hopefully thats a good sign! Thanks!
A good shop will find the issue with alignment , good luck!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Check the sway bar end links, they make clunking noises when they are broken.This is on 99 but yours are similar..

Last edited by 2nd150; 06-15-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

X2 for the sway bar end links. I just did mine after having the "clunk". I suspected it was these after having had the same "clunk" on my ford escape. In both cases, that was the cause and the fix. They weren't broken, just a little play in the joint. Surprising that a clunk like that is from these things being worn. Super easy fix (can do them without even taking the wheels off) and the parts are cheap on eBay. I got Moogs for about $33 each.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM

I've changed the sway bar link twice, once when doing the leveling kit, and last Friday again, still makes the same noise.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM

I've changed the sway bar link twice, once when doing the leveling kit, and last Friday again, still makes the same noise.
You might want to make sure your uca isn't hitting your spring also

Quick Reply: Clunking noise