Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise

I installed my 2.5 AS kit on friday and still need to get an alignment but I have this noise whenever I go over a bump like a "clunk". My buddy has a 6" suspension lift on his Chevy and it sounds just like it,(like metal banging metal) which I didn't think that noise would happen just with a leveling kit. I was just wondering if anybody else has this with their leveling kit.
p.s. I used a tool to seperate the upper ball joint. The rubber that goes around it is ripped, which I was told just to clean and put some silicone on it to seal it.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

There shouldn't be any clunking noise.

Normally, I would've said that your coil spring/shock is hitting your upper control arm, but I see you have an Autospring kit, which is offset so that doesn't happen. Older kits, and some other manufacturers had that problem. There's really only one way to install the spacers. Not sure what that could be. Is everything tight?

As for the ball joint, the silicone thing would probably work, but I wouldn't be able to live with that. I'd have to fix it just for peace of mind. If you ever do another leveling kit, don't use the tool. Just give the steering knuckle a good whack and it'll pop right out.

Last edited by driver444; 04-27-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM

I had the same noise. It was a sway bar link.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM

driver: so for the ball joint, how would I replace that rubber? Would I have to take the entire strut off?
beking: how did you fix the noise?

I want to get new tires put on Wednesday with the alignment but if I have to disassemble everything I will just wait until I can fix everything.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM

So I called Ford today to get a price on the rubber boot...and they don't replace just the boot you have to buy the entire setup which runs about 300 bucks a piece and since I broke both of them that would be 600 not installed.....so I am going to buy some silicone tom. and patch them up this weekend. p.s. I am getting my tires put on tom. and I cant wait to see them.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM

If it is the sway bar link there pretty easy to replace. Just drop the sway bar and I would recommend replaceing both while its off. I made the mistake of replacing one and about 6 months later was doing the other. No special tools and it took me about 40 min. The way that I found out it was the links was laid under the truck while the wife stood in the door and rocked the truck. I could hear the clunking/popping noise and then could see the link was broke at the ball joint. Links run about $25 a piece. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Clunking noise