Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clunk when Hitting Gas in 4WD 2005 XL

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk when Hitting Gas in 4WD 2005 XL

Hello,

I have a 2005 XL with the 4.6L, I had some problems getting into work this morning with the 4WD. We had some nasty snow and ice last night so I needed to use it on some back roads.

When I made it to dry pavement I found one of the wheels would have a grinding/dragging sound when shifting out of 4WD, when going back into 4WD the sound would go away. It refused to disengage one of the wheels even after multiple attempts of going in and out of 4HI (I even found an un-plowed spot and tried going into 4LO, then back. Didn't change anything. I was able to limp it in (40 miles) and brought it to the shop near work, they found 2 holes in the driver's side vac lines, after they replaced them the hub engages and disengages fine.

The shop noticed a clunking sound when going from Reverse to Drive, or in drive when hitting the gas while in 4WD, I know I've heard this clunk in the past (I think) and thought it was normal (I'm new to true 4WD) but now that I have the truck back this afternoon the sound appears to be louder.

For example -
Took it for a test drive in a parking lot and 4HI engages fine, both wheels feel tight and locked in, but when I come to a stop then hit the gas there is a metallic clunk sound, then it feels like the wheels re-engage and 4WD is working, no sounds when driving at any speed in 4WD, no sounds when out of 4WD, just when coming to a stop. (or going from R to D obviously)

The shop insists I damaged the hub and it will need to be replaced, which is expensive. Is this true? Not normal at all? Any guesses?

Sidenote - The IWE solenoid was replaced a month ago, I had the whole 4HI light not coming on issue, that was fixed.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It is entirely plausible that there is damage to the HUB. The way ford assembled the 4WD on these models was sloppy at best. They are prone to failure if anything obstructs the vacuum seal the system can stop working. The electronic switches are prone to failing and the IWE can also occasionally go out. I'd get a second opinion just to be sure and don't let them know the other shops diag, if you get the same answer twice chances are you found the golden egg... Good luck, sorry about the news.

Quick Reply: Clunk when Hitting Gas in 4WD 2005 XL