Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

clicking noise from front hub

Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Default clicking noise from front hub

So today my truck was making a clicking noise from the front drivers side wheel. It sounded like a card in a bicycle spoke. Now i got home took the tire off and you can hear the click when 4wd is engaged trying to rotate the hub back and forth. When at idle in 2wd theirs no sound. So i put the tire back on drove down my street in 2wd and it was grinding away, put it in 4hi the grinding sound still persists, 4low still grinds. I put it in 2wd and started to reverse towards my drive way and the grinding goes away. Anyone have a idea what this could be?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak that lead to a broken IWE hub.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Kinda Good news it has nothing to do with the 4wd system or front end. I jacked the truck up and put it on jack stands and put in drive and walked around the truck. I noticed the sound was coming from the rear drivers side tire. Since i have a open differential i stopped the tire and the noise stopped. so when i went back into the cab to put it back in park i noticed that the park brake and ABS light was on.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Failed E-Brake release ??
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 AM
Some guy

Originally Posted by f150skidoo
Kinda Good news it has nothing to do with the 4wd system or front end. I jacked the truck up and put it on jack stands and put in drive and walked around the truck. I noticed the sound was coming from the rear drivers side tire. Since i have a open differential i stopped the tire and the noise stopped. so when i went back into the cab to put it back in park i noticed that the park brake and ABS light was on.
I feel like this is an incomplete thought... so what further inspection did you do after seeing those?
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by f150skidoo
ABS light came on because you stopped the tire from turing thus triggering an ABS code I would think.

It sounds like you have a failed IWE in the front. Do not just replace it. You need to determine why it failed. It may be due to other issues and if so will happen again in short order.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. Mine was caused by water damage. Too much water was in then vacuum hub and caused it to fail. There could be three things causing this though. First is the actual vacuum hub is bad and needs to be replaced. Second would be the vacuum hub solenoid, they have an updated version of this solinoid because the old one would get water damage from rain and the new one has a lid on it to protect it. Third could be the hoses for the vacuum hub. i started by replacing the solinoid with the the updated version, that didn't solve it. Then I replace the hub where the sound was coming from but it was actually the other vacuum hub failing making the other one fails so I replaced that one and the problem was solved. Whenever I was in 2wd it made the sound but when I put it in 4wd it did not make the sound. This problem is really tricky

Here's the locking hub actuator I went with an OEM though
Amazon.com: Dorman 600-105 4WD Locking Hub Actuator: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 600-105 4WD Locking Hub Actuator: Automotive

Here's the updated solinoid
Amazon.com: Dorman 600-400 4WD Vacuum and Emissions Purge Solenoid: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 600-400 4WD Vacuum and Emissions Purge Solenoid: Automotive
Old 02-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Some guy

Recommend you use pretty much anything but Dorman if you want the part to last for longer than one oil change.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clicking noise from front hub