Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clear transmission memory

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear transmission memory

Took my truck in to ford to have them take a look at it because I was having a shifting issue. I just bought it little over a month ago. It’s a 2008 FX4 5.4L 4x4. When it would down shift around 25-30mph it would hesitate for a sec before it shifted. Only noticed it when it down shifts. Shifts fine during normal acceleration. Had the ford transmission tech drive it so he could feel it. He took a look at the computer and made sure it had the current software and it did. I told him about the TSB 09-20-14 and he said he didn’t think it was that. He said he would clear the transmission memory so it could learn my driving style. Does this sound right? Anyone have this same issue? How long does it take to relearn your style?

Thanks

TSB 09-20-14
Some 2005-2010 vehicles equipped with a 4R70/75E-W transmission may experience an un-commanded torque converter clutch (TCC) apply or TCC partial apply immediately after the 1-2 shift. This may result in the perception that the vehicle lacks power or that the transmission is up-shifting too early. Additional symptoms of uncommanded TCC apply when coming to a stop (before the 2-1 downshift is commanded), are engine stalling or lugging when engaging manual 2nd while at a stop and code P1742 may be present in continuous memory. However, the vehicle should operate normally in park, reverse, neutral and manual 1st gear.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch46
Took my truck in to ford to have them take a look at it because I was having a shifting issue. I just bought it little over a month ago. It’s a 2008 FX4 5.4L 4x4. When it would down shift around 25-30mph it would hesitate for a sec before it shifted. Only noticed it when it down shifts. Shifts fine during normal acceleration. Had the ford transmission tech drive it so he could feel it. He took a look at the computer and made sure it had the current software and it did. I told him about the TSB 09-20-14 and he said he didn’t think it was that. He said he would clear the transmission memory so it could learn my driving style. Does this sound right? Anyone have this same issue? How long does it take to relearn your style?

Thanks

TSB 09-20-14
Some 2005-2010 vehicles equipped with a 4R70/75E-W transmission may experience an un-commanded torque converter clutch (TCC) apply or TCC partial apply immediately after the 1-2 shift. This may result in the perception that the vehicle lacks power or that the transmission is up-shifting too early. Additional symptoms of uncommanded TCC apply when coming to a stop (before the 2-1 downshift is commanded), are engine stalling or lugging when engaging manual 2nd while at a stop and code P1742 may be present in continuous memory. However, the vehicle should operate normally in park, reverse, neutral and manual 1st gear.
Yeah I had the same problem, they cleared it and now its back. I just live with it.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The tech said its not hurting anything, its more annoying then anything else. Guess ill give it some time and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Clear transmission memory