Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cleaning the injecters

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the injecters

Does anyone add additives to your gas to clean the injecters? what kind works good ?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Personnaly I don't. Don't like home remedies. But I'm a old guy and not into performance like the rest. 177K and the same mileage as new. Why mess with it. Maybe I should, don't know. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion if fuel additives don't make clogged injectors any better. It's useful to apply some once in a few months to keep the system clean, but if you want really clean it - the effect might be opposite. I bet that American gas is a lot cleaner than what we have in here, but i think that after several years there must be some tar or something like that in the tank, and by adding any fuel system cleaner you can dissovle it and make it go to the injectors. At least it's the way it works with Russian gas. I think that one of the best ways to clean injectors is ultra sonic.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I just run a tank of the higher octane gas through my truck's every month or so...never had injector issues.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
I just run a tank of the higher octane gas through my truck's every month or so...never had injector issues.
thats a good idea I'm going to try that thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

IIRC, by law, all gasoline is supposed to have some kind of fuel system cleaner added. Now, whether this law is still on the books, whether the cleaner is really added, or if so, how much is added - I don't know.

I've used fuel system cleaners - Berryman's, SeaFoam, and a NAPA pressurized injection cleaner that was injected directly into the fuel rail. Of the three - I thought the direct injection cleaner worked the best - but was also the most difficult to use.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seafoam

I have used Seafoam with good results.
About one third of can into intake manifold through a vacuum line and the rest into the gas tank.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Inspector Man

I'm a big fan of Restore oil treatment--I used it in my old truck every time I changed the oil, and will likely do so on my new one. In terms of injector / fuel system cleaner, I usually use the bottled techron stuff or once or twice I used Slick50 and they both seemed to work equally well. I did notice a little bit of power come back, but most importantly, about a 2-3 mpg bump over old oil and plain, untreated gasoline.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

As another post mentioned, run a tank of higher octane from Shell, Exxon, or Mobile once a month. They put a cleaning additive in all their grades, more of it in the "high grade". This is as good as pouring in some injector cleaner from your auto parts store once a month. Yes, that stuff does work, and depending on how bad the injectors are clogged, will clean it (or them) out; it just may take a few applications.

If the injectors are performing good now, keep them that way by adding a good quality of fuel every 3rd tankful of gas.

With prices finally coming down in price, it makes it worth doing rather than buying the bottle from the auto parts store.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I use BG products. They are a damn good cleaner. They actually offer a guarantee that you will feel the difference.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the injecters