Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clanking sound diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking sound diagnosis

I searched through older post but couldn't find this specific noise.

When in drive and give it a little gas to pull forward slowly, such as pulling forward in a drivethru or into my garage, I'm getting a clanking sound that lasts for about 2 seconds and then stops. It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine. Not only can I hear it, but I can also feel it shaking the truck when it does it.

It doesn't do when in park, so I'm thinking the motor needs a load on it for it to occur...AND it's doesn't do it all the time.

It also has a slight tick at idle that comes and goes seems like. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes it's louder than others. I'm guessing this is the cam phasers or just injector noise, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the clanking I'm getting.

Any ideas where to check first?

Last edited by Scro; 02-10-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Forgot to mention, it's 2007 4x4 5.4 XLT with 76,000 miles.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Only 76,000 miles, but is sounding like your timing chain tensioner on that right side has gone out. Does is sound like a rattle? Mine did that under light load like you're talking about.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tareed94
Only 76,000 miles, but is sounding like your timing chain tensioner on that right side has gone out. Does is sound like a rattle? Mine did that under light load like you're talking about.
It does sound like a rattle when under load, but if I stay in the gas, it doesn't do it. It's only when I give a little to pull forward, and let off, like in the situations I was talking about.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Scro
It does sound like a rattle when under load, but if I stay in the gas, it doesn't do it. It's only when I give a little to pull forward, and let off, like in the situations I was talking about.
record video/sound

or put it in drive and power break it.. and see what rpms its noticeable at.. could be VCT solenoids
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

The rattle under light load is a known sign of tensioners or chain guides. The rattle is typically timing chain slap from what I've heard.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

I searched through older post but couldn't find this specific noise.

When in drive and give it a little gas to pull forward slowly, such as pulling forward in a drivethru or into my garage, I'm getting a clanking sound that lasts for about 2 seconds and then stops. It sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine. Not only can I hear it, but I can also feel it shaking the truck when it does it.

It doesn't do when in park, so I'm thinking the motor needs a load on it for it to occur...AND it's doesn't do it all the time.

It also has a slight tick at idle that comes and goes seems like. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes it's louder than others. I'm guessing this is the cam phasers or just injector noise, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the clanking I'm getting.

Any ideas where to check first?
Maybe a crack in the flexplate?
Or exhaust?
Does it sound like it's coming from the bottom of the engine?

Does the truck run and idle smooth?

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

I read on another forum where a guy was having an issue like that (clanking/shaking) and it turned out to be a bad motor mount.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Everyone always jump straight to the conclusion that you have timing issues or VCT change...

Get under your truck and check out your exhaust system first. It may rattle around. I know my exhaust is missing a hanger and it rattles every now and then. Also, check for loose heat shields or something.

Quick Reply: Clanking sound diagnosis