Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Chrome door handle covers - do they come off?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Chrome door handle covers - do they come off?

As you've probably noticed I've made a few posts here, but this is my first truck and I don't keep anything I own stock so please bear with my numerous posts.

My truck came with chrome (FAKE chrome) door and tailgate handle covers. The dealer said they should just pop right off but I think they're glued on there. When I try to pull I can hear the plastic of the cover start to crack. I'm also afraid to take them off incase they were glued on and the glue discolored the black handles. What would be my best bet, try ripping them off, maybe using a heat gun or just buy black handles and swap them?

Thanks,
Ryan
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what your hearing is the junk plastic cracking, i replaced my door pulls with polished stainless steel ones. are they glued on or did they used double sided tape? if they used epoxy, the handles will probably be blemished underneath where the epoxy ate into the plastic.

ALWAYS make the dealer take that crap off your truck before you sign, otherwise you never know what's underneath. a buddy ran into this with a truck that had chrome rocker panels, after he brought it home and got around to removing it, there was rust and chips all over underneath it
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ATOM
what your hearing is the junk plastic cracking, i replaced my door pulls with polished stainless steel ones. are they glued on or did they used double sided tape? if they used epoxy, the handles will probably be blemished underneath where the epoxy ate into the plastic.

ALWAYS make the dealer take that crap off your truck before you sign, otherwise you never know what's underneath. a buddy ran into this with a truck that had chrome rocker panels, after he brought it home and got around to removing it, there was rust and chips all over underneath it
I guess I could try using a heat gun and if it comes off and I see blemish I could just glue it back on, then offer a straight swap on Kijiji for black ones.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Its a Canes Thing.

my dad had some on his 250 and they eventually fell off cuz of the beating the truck takes but the black ones underneath were discolored but it was a type of glue idk which one but it was cuz it was on the handle dried up..just try and take them off first cuz if u buy them and they look good u would have to return the other ones but its ur decision
Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Almost all of those chrome aftermarket products are the fake chrome and use 3M double sided tape. That isn’t a stock item. Why do you want to take them off? Do you not like the chrome look? Underneath the chrome stick-on are a solid black door handle. You should be able to use a heat gun and pull them off.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Boz
Almost all of those chrome aftermarket products are the fake chrome and use 3M double sided tape. That isn’t a stock item. Why do you want to take them off? Do you not like the chrome look? Underneath the chrome stick-on are a solid black door handle. You should be able to use a heat gun and pull them off.
Cool, I'll give that a try. And yeah, I hate fake chrome, tacky IMO. I like real chrome which is why I'm keeping the step bars on but one of the primary reasons I went with the FX4 is because it didn't have the chrome bumpers and grill. Although the chrome bumpers are real chrome, it just seems to me like higher grade trucks these days have no chrome on them, and you can get chrome on even base model vehicles. Plus chrome on silver looks bad IMO, way more contrast with black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome door handle covers - do they come off?