Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

chips and programmers etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chips and programmers etc

I have a 2008 ford F150 screw with 4.6. I need some info and correction. I am under the assumption that if you buy a chip you just get a chip and whatever is programmed into it and that is all. If you buy a programmer you get a couple of tunes with it but can modify some settings on your own.
any help appreciated. I figure ill start with programmer, then save again for exhaust and in the meantime do a AI mod. Also wondering if there is a spark plug for 4.6 that will do better than stock. I did look at brisk but i am either overlooking or they do not show a plug for 2008 yet. Basically i am looking for an improvement for towing boat and also everyday driving.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

They don't make "chips" for your truck. You have to get a programmer. Again go with a custom tuned programmer.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you looking for more power for daily driving and towing, I would look into underdrive pulleys and an electric fan setup
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 PM

The stock plugs are fine and I don't think any plugs unless yours are old/worn are going to make a HP difference. Brisk makes them for the 5.4's and 4.6 Mustangs for sure but IMHO you really don't need them for your 4.6. As suggested a programmer will give you your best bang for the buck. Contact Troyer Performance @ 540-965-7123.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by JohnC
The stock plugs are fine and I don't think any plugs unless yours are old/worn are going to make a HP difference. Brisk makes them for the 5.4's and 4.6 Mustangs for sure but IMHO you really don't need them for your 4.6. As suggested a programmer will give you your best bang for the buck. Contact Troyer Performance @ 540-965-7123.
I really didnt think different plugs at this point would do anything but you dont know until you ask. I appreciate the other info though. I have looked for info on this programmer for my truck and am not finding any info.. so i give them a call here soon.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM

They are the Ford truck experts and they will help you out and answer any and all questions you may have. You can also go to their web site and read up if you like. I think the SCT X2 or X3 is what you will want. Good luck and let us know what they suggested.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 AM

troyers site is not real customer friendly at this moment. I see where they are upgrading it however. I did send an email explaining what I am looking for and at the same time i got a magazine in the mail with the sct x3for 379.xx.
Wife didnt want to hear it but i got plans for toy money.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Default tuner

F.Y.I. I think it takes like 8 to 10 weeks for the gang over a troyer performance get you a set of custom tunes. That is right into boating season where im at but, they also say custom tunes are worth thier weight in GOLD! (well maybe not gold but my point is you should try and get custom tunes) Im gonna get a set as soon as I start using my truck again becuase im to lazy and not motivated enough right now with this crapy snow still on the ground!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BoatBoy1069
F.Y.I. I think it takes like 8 to 10 weeks for the gang over a troyer performance get you a set of custom tunes. That is right into boating season where im at but, they also say custom tunes are worth thier weight in GOLD! (well maybe not gold but my point is you should try and get custom tunes) Im gonna get a set as soon as I start using my truck again becuase im to lazy and not motivated enough right now with this crapy snow still on the ground!
I hear ya... when people talk about something like whitecrystal1 has about his setup it must be really nice. I have been looking and lurking (and trying to save some money) to see where I need to start.. sct xcal3 is going to be first, exhaust second and a few things like cai, underdrive pulleys etc in between. thanks everybody for the info.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

personally everything you want sounds great except for the CAI. I would look at the Gotts mod for your intake and try that first. Total cost for this about $6.00 I did it on my wifes 07 Screw 4x4 with a 4.6 and noticed a vast improvement. All you have to do is take the tube off the end of ur filter box and replace it with a 3" pvc pipe cut 4.5" long. You will need to sand the end of it down considerably to get it to fit into the original hole. But the work saves you $250.00.. You dont get any of the engine heat this way either. You can go to FordF150.net to look up the Gotts intake mod.

Quick Reply: chips and programmers etc