Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Chip??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Chip??

Hello all. Just visiting, but have a question for a friend. I have a friend that has a F150 (04 I think) that has a chip in it, so he was told. With the gas prices through the roof and not knowing anything about chips I told him he might be able to get it removed.

I have a 07 VW GTI so I know a little about chipping / reflashing.

Does anyone know how to find out if he is chipped (reflashed), what kind, and how to remove if possible? Also if he took it to a Ford dealer how friendly would they be to removing it or reflashing it with the necessary stock software?

Email me if you can prpltrck@aol.com , as I don't check this site that often. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Question Chip? How do I tell?

Hello all. Just visiting, but have a question for a friend. I have a friend that has a F150 (04 I think) that has a chip in it, so he was told. With the gas prices through the roof and not knowing anything about chips I told him he might be able to get it removed.

I have a 07 VW GTI so I know a little about chipping / reflashing.

Does anyone know how to find out if he is chipped (reflashed), what kind, and how to remove if possible? Also if he took it to a Ford dealer how friendly would they be to removing it or reflashing it with the necessary stock software?

Email me if you can prpltrck@aol.com , as I don't check this site that often. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Can't "chip" an 04. If the computer has been re-flashed then he needs to go to Ford and have it flashed back to stock, then get an SCT tuner for it.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by NGM
Can't "chip" an 04. If the computer has been re-flashed then he needs to go to Ford and have it flashed back to stock, then get an SCT tuner for it.
OK, in my mind "Chip" and "Reflash" mean the same thing, just a different means to the same end.

What is an SCT Tuner...sorry, I'm really a Ford guy at heard, but have never owned a Ford myself.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PRPLTRCK
OK, in my mind "Chip" and "Reflash" mean the same thing, just a different means to the same end.

What is an SCT Tuner...sorry, I'm really a Ford guy at heard, but have never owned a Ford myself.
well, chip and reflash are two different things. If a chip is removed, the EEC reverts back to its OEM state. The EEC in all the new F150s is called a SilverOak processor, it does not have a service port like earlier Ford EEC-V 'puters. Therefore, the only way to program said EEC is to relfash it through the diagnostic OBD-II port. So, "chipping" an 04+ F150 is impossible, reflashing one is not. Now, he could go to the dealer and they will most likely charge him, or he could get an SCT Flash Tool AKA Xcalibrator 3 and reflash it a superior tune and get better gas mileage. My truck gets a little under 2mpg better and a helluva lot better throttle response and performance with an economy tune.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
well, chip and reflash are two different things. If a chip is removed, the EEC reverts back to its OEM state. The EEC in all the new F150s is called a SilverOak processor, it does not have a service port like earlier Ford EEC-V 'puters. Therefore, the only way to program said EEC is to relfash it through the diagnostic OBD-II port. So, "chipping" an 04+ F150 is impossible, reflashing one is not. Now, he could go to the dealer and they will most likely charge him, or he could get an SCT Flash Tool AKA Xcalibrator 3 and reflash it a superior tune and get better gas mileage. My truck gets a little under 2mpg better and a helluva lot better throttle response and performance with an economy tune.
That sounds awesome...thanks for breaking it down for me. Know of anywhere in Southern New England to get all that done. I don't think he is computer savvy enough to go buying the AKA Xcalibrator 3.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 AM
none.

Originally Posted by PRPLTRCK
That sounds awesome...thanks for breaking it down for me. Know of anywhere in Southern New England to get all that done. I don't think he is computer savvy enough to go buying the AKA Xcalibrator 3.

AKA means also known as, its not the name of the tuner

The flash tool takes about 5 minutes. Order one from a reputable SCT dealer such as troyerperformance.com vmptuning.com jawsracing.net or bamachips.com tell them what kind of tune you want with what mods for you, warm up the plastic, and wait for it in the mail. When it comes, open said package and follow directions on the included sheet. Basically, you turn the truck to accessory on, plug in the tuner, select your tune(I run 87 Economy), press enter, and wait.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM

[quote=obusnizzle;83546]AKA means also known as, its not the name of the tunerquote]

I guess I just showed my internet ignorancea...Thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
none.

thats not an internet phrase, dude.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
thats not an internet phrase, dude.
True, True. I just lumped it into all that stuff, like IIRC, BTW, LOL, LMFAO etc.

Any idea how much he would plan on spending on something like this? Ball park?

Quick Reply: Chip??