Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Checking My List

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To Do List - Prep - Completed Mods

I have been lurking for quite some time now taking in all the information this forum has to offer. A little background.... Bought a 2005 FX4 Supercab 4x4 for my son. I am planning on doing several mods to the truck this weekend and want to make sure I have everything I need. I have installed Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shocks up front and Bilstein 5100 Shocks in the rear. Which exposed how crappy the Fender Wells, Frame and Rear Axle looks.

I plan on using a high pressure wash to thoroughly clean all three areas, then use scuff pads to make sure there is no loose materials and give it a good place to adhere to. I will be using Rustoleum Rubber Coating on the Fender Wells and Frame and Rustoleum Satin Black Paint on the Rear Axle.

I am aware to cover the Leaf Springs to assure no Coating gets in between the leafs causing problems. I will also be taping off the pretty new Bilsteins. The Rear Axle is pretty straight forward. My son's truck is Oxford White with Dark Shadow Grey Metallic Lower Accent. I want to also paint the exposed white showing underneath cab below the Dark Accent. I can't find where anyone else has done this. I would think I should be able to tape it off, scuff it and blend with Duplicolor Perfect Match?

My final mod this weekend will be PTM Mirrors. I have read several threads about how to sand. primer and paint them. The mirrors look like they are two piece with the gap between the top and bottom, but believe they are one piece. I am little concerned on how to tape off this gap but am going to try to use pin striping to get a clean edge down in the gap. I will be using Rustoleum Sandable Primer and Duplicolor Perfect Match Oxford White with Rustoleum Gloss Clear Coat.

I plan on taking some before and after pictures of each project. Just wanted to check that I am not forgetting something or if someone has any last minute tips. Picking up everything tomorrow.

Thanks

VinmanFX4

Last edited by VinmanFX4; 04-20-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:58 PM

Default Past Mods

I am actually going to show a couple of mods I have already done just to catch you up. My son's F150 had a decent dent in the rear bumper. So we pulled it off along with the hitch. Beat the hell out of it for several hours with a hammer and a block of wood then repainted the bumper and hitch.
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0049.jpg   Checking My List-img_0050.jpg   Checking My List-img_0053.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 AM

Default Past Mods

PTM Front Tow Hooks
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0051.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 AM

Default White Area below the Dark Charcoal Accent

As you can see Ford did not completely cover the White using the Lower Accent. Taped the area off. Scuffed it, Primed it, used Duplicolor Perfect Match Dark Shadow Grey Metallic and finished it with some Clear Coat.
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0068.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 AM

Default White Area below the Dark Charcoal Accent

As you can see Ford did not completely cover the White using the Lower Accent. Taped the area off. Scuffed it, Primed it, used Duplicolor Perfect Match Dark Shadow Grey Metallic and finished it with some Clear Coat.
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0068.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 AM

Default PTM Mirrors

Taped off the Mirror Caps. Unfortunately they are one piece mirrors. I used pinstriping to cover the gap, then taped the rest of the mirror off. Started sanding with 200 then finish with 400 grit. Sprayed Rustoleum Sandable Primer. Let dry overnight then sanded with 600 grit and sprayed Duplicolor Perfect Match Oxford White. Let dry overnight then sanded with 1500 grit and finished with Rustoleum Gloss Clear Coat.
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0069.jpg   Checking My List-img_0097.jpg  

Last edited by VinmanFX4; 04-21-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:30 AM

Default Coating Frame

Now to attack the nasty surface rust on the frame rails. My son took the truck up this afternoon and high pressured washed everything we intended to coat. I then scuffed all the surfaces then wiped down with cleaner. Time for the Rustoleum Rubber Coating.
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0072.jpg   Checking My List-img_0073.jpg   Checking My List-img_0075.jpg  

Last edited by VinmanFX4; 04-21-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 AM

Default Coating Frame

Taped off what I didnt want to cover and went at it
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0078.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 AM

Default Coating Fender Wells

Pretty much the same prep as with the frame
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0079.jpg   Checking My List-img_0080.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 AM

Default Painting the Leaf Springs

Sanded down everything that I could reach, then taped off the area and sprayed with Rustoleum Primer then Restoleum Satin Black to finish.
Attached Thumbnails Checking My List-img_0083.jpg  

Quick Reply: Checking My List