Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Check you're fuel driver module

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Check you're fuel driver module

OK for any of the do-it you're selfers on here this might be worth checking before you end up with a no start or driveability problem.
04- up f-150's have a fuel pump driver module that controls current to the fuel pump on a returnless system. There have been alot ( mostly in northern states I think ) of failures with them.
The problem is the modules case is made from aluminum and mounted on a steel crossmember. The module builds corrosion where it mounts and fractures or erodes the case then either the circuit board breaks or it shorts from water entry. I have seen a few that get so bad that it actually breaks in two.
If you want to check and/or fix you'res its fairly simple.

First lower the spare tire, then just foward of the spare is a crossmember. The module bolts just left of center on this crossmember's top side ( kinda angled to the rear slightly ) Its a aluminum case with a plastic cover and a connector coming out of the top, its prob 3x5" and 2" to 3" thick. Its the only electrical component on the crossmember I believe so its pretty easy to find.
The fix is pretty simple, remove the two bolts securing it to the frame and inspect the underside for damage. The new modules come with studs and nuts to mount it so it spaces it from the frame and creates an air gap behind it. What I would do is simply get two longer bolts and prob 8 flat washers (4 for each bolt). I believe the bolts are m-6x1.0 .. so I would get prob m-6x1.0x30 or 40 length. I havent done it yet so I am unsure of exact length but that should do. Then bolt the module down with the washers spacing it from the frame and reassemble.
Seems to be more on earlier models but I think they are all affected, just havent had enough time to build corrosion. I have heard of alot of fuel pumps being replaced from this problem.

Hope this helps anyone affected
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Someone awhile back posted a pic of this problem; there was a pile of dirt, leaves, and dead critters behind the cover and all over this module.

It was a mess.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya I'm sure alot knew about it I just fig I would post up a way to prevent it. Better to spend $2 than $100

Quick Reply: Check you're fuel driver module