Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Check Gauges Warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Gauges Warning

Hey Guys,

Interesting problem today.. Got in the truck to go to work and everything worked fine as it should. When I go to leave work I noticed the radio was still on from the drive in.. thought it was odd but maybe the ignition got stuck or something. As I get in I notice that the Check Gauges light is flashing and the truck beeped when I opened the door as if there were keys in the ignition. Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

The truck keeps saying Check gauges and like every couple of seconds it will beep and the radio will restart and turn itself back on. Also, if you look closely you can see all of my dash lights very dimly lit when it says check gauges. Should I get this taken in or has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Thanks for the help, I really hope I can get this fixed asap as it makes me worried to drive it long distances to and from school.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM

I did end up changing the battery and serpentine belt yesterday. Just went out and checked the battery connections and cables and everything seems to be ok there. I did pull the negative cable in hopes to restart the computer, but after 10 minutes it still does the same thing as soon as you plug the cable back on.

The only other thing I can think of is that the previous owner installed a roof visor. A couple days ago in the rain I noticed some slight leaking on the passenger side where the windshield meets the headliner. I pulled the headliner and did notice it was a little wet, so I caulked around where the screws barely poked through the roof. Some water did appear to run behind the pillar towards the dash but it definitely didn't look like enough to cause any damage, but could this be a possibility?

The owners manual says it could be one of three things. 1. Oil pressure is low 2. Fuel is low or near low and 3. Coolant temp is too high. None of these things fit where my truck is at right now. It ran fine on the way home from work, but I went out to run it for a few to see if the coolant temp or oil pressure would fluctuate and it did start to stutter and run a little rough for a few seconds then return back to normal.

I have a 25 mile commute each way to school tomorrow that I definitely don't feel comfortable taking the truck on until I figure this out. Would it be easiest to just take it to a shop?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Sounds like a ground problem, or either the relay module for the delayed accessory power (where your radio stays on after you turn the key off until you open to drivers door) is having a problem.

A loose ground can cause all kinds of problems. Had a loose ground on the instrument cluster of my 04 F150, and when you turned they key to the on position, all of the needles in my dash would tremble, and then after a few seconds, work normally.

You may want to start by checking all grounding points in the electrical system, especially, where the negative cable on the battery goes to the engine block and frame.

Last edited by scvfd02; 11-28-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Hello 04. Did you find a solution to your gauge problem? My '06 has begun doing the same thing. Cheers.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you verified that the ignition switch cylinder is completely in the "Off" position? I have seen other vehicles (various makes/models) where a worn ignition cylinder would allow for the key to be removed prior to the cylinder being completely in the off position.

If your cylinder has ears on it, turn it to the "Off" position without the key in place.

If it's like my F-150, there will be no ears on the face of the ignition cylinder. You'll need to put the key in the cylinder. With the key in the cylinder, find the locked (OFF) position. It could be the cylinder is either barely engaging the "On" or the "Accessory" position.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Brewster (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

double check the fuse box in the passenger side kick panel.. thats where your water leak would run into..
The following users liked this post:
Brewster (02-15-2016)
Old 01-31-2020, 04:44 PM

I know it's an old thread, but I have a problem similar to the one in 2016 regarding the warning on instrument panel of "Check Gauges". My situation is that squirrels got under my hood, built a nest and chewed most of the wires leading to the auxiliary fuses box on the driver's side fender. I spliced them back and the fuses have current and are OK. They also gnawed the thick red insulation on the main cable coming off the battery and I think going to the main fuse box on the passenger side. I've checked for any other loose, chewed wiring without success. When I turn on the ignition...nothing...no clicks, no noise at all.
Just the warning of "Check Gauges". I haven't checked all the fuses, just the solenoid starter. It's a 2005 F-150 6 cylinder 4.2 liter...Any Thoughts are welcome !

Quick Reply: Check Gauges Warning