Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Check gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check gas cap

Recently I'm having this display on the info.. Everytime I start up it shows..

I've tested the gas cap at an inspection place and it passes.. Anyone have any other suggestions? I do not have a CEL/Mil light..
Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by choi0706
Recently I'm having this display on the info.. Everytime I start up it shows..

I've tested the gas cap at an inspection place and it passes.. Anyone have any other suggestions? I do not have a CEL/Mil light..
I know on my moms chrysler, she didnt turn the gas cap "2 clicks" which will cause this light to come on and it must be reset by the dealer. Dont know if our fords do the same thing but i always turn my several clicks.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

There can be a seal leak between the gas filler neck and the EVAP system. Keepting it simple, the gas cap must make a tight seal after refueling. The gas vapors that build up in the gas tank are drawn into a charcoal canister, then this canister is piped into the intake system so that these vapors are burned. Locate the canister and verify that all the plumbing is intact (connected), and that there are no breaks. Start at the filler neck and trace the tubing to locate the charcoal canister.

On most cars, any potentioal seal break in this system will set an error code and your check engine light will come on. It is resetable code, which can be done by you if you have a scan tool, or in some cases, a pin on the OBD II plug can be shrted to reset codes. For this you would need a repair manual. I'd suggest you buy one at your local parts store. Best troubleshooting document you'll ever buy.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only problem is that I DO NOT have a check engine light on.. so it shouldnt be an evap issue as that would throw a check engine light..

the only information I have is check gas cap.. the seal on the cap has been checked to be working good as the inspection station checked to ensure it seals..
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by choi0706
the only problem is that I DO NOT have a check engine light on.. so it shouldnt be an evap issue as that would throw a check engine light..

the only information I have is check gas cap.. the seal on the cap has been checked to be working good as the inspection station checked to ensure it seals..
Did you try my idea...It didnt throw a check engine light on my moms either. It had that same "Check Gas Cap"

Quick Reply: Check gas cap