Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

check engine light with no throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light with no throttle

Three times now I have started my truck, a 05 supercrew 5.4, and after turning on the a/c the truck will start running like crap. The wrench light comes on and I lose any response from the pedal. After a restart everything works fine and the light goes out. Anyone have this happen to them before or had this fixed?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The "wrench" lamp on the dash indicates your PCM (power control module) is set to a closed loop mode, also refered to as a "limp home" mode.

There will usually be a diagnostic code set as well. Did you do any recent engine work, or tinker under the hood lately?

Awhile back, my MAF sensor plug came loose, causing the "wrench" lamp to come on. I popped the hood and found it. I had been rerouting this harness after installing a K&N semi CAI kit.

I removed the battery cable (negative), waited about 1 minute, re-installed it, then started the truck. Code cleared, ran just fine.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 05 that I had did the same, took it to the dealer it was the throttle body messing up.They replaced the entire T-body and no more problems...
Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

As you can already see, there can be several reasons why the "wrench" lamp can appear, indicating the vehicle's PCM is set to "limp home" mode...

If there is nothing obvious that you can see wrong, then avoid tossing parts at it until it goes away; check for a trouble code stored, or take it in to be serviced if you don't have the tools (I.E. scan tool, etc).

You'll save money in the long run.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I had the codes checked and there were all the codes that point to the throttle body. Replaced the throttle body and I stll grt the same symptoms. Do you have to reflash the pcm? Anyone know what the signals from the throttle pedal sensors are supposed to be?

Quick Reply: check engine light with no throttle