Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Check engine light came on

Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light came on

Coming home today my check engine light came on. The truck is running just fine still. I stopped by a friends house that has a scanner to check for codes. Here's what we got:

O2 Sensor Circuit
High Voltage Bank 2
Sensor 2

I have no idea which one it would be. I found 2 sensors one on each bank down by the cats are there any others in there?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM

there should be an O2 sensor before and then another after the cat but not to sure on bank 1 or 2 i think that bank 1 i driver side and bank 2 is passenger but it could be vise-versa
Old 09-22-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Visa Versa. All ford engine of the V style have the passenger side being bank 1, cyls 1-3 for V-6 and 1-4 for the V-8 engines. Bank 2 is the left or dirvers side and are 4-6 or 4-8 respectively. You might ask for additional help on diognosing the codes. There is a procedure to follow to prevent just spending money. If money is no object, be my guest and replace the 02 sensors, but it might be some other issue creating the codes.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM

So there's 3 O2 sensors and the 2nd bank is the drivers side. Anyone know the procedure for checking?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by BJV269SS
So there's 3 O2 sensors and the 2nd bank is the drivers side. Anyone know the procedure for checking?
There are 4 O2 sensors; two of them are heated, the other two are not. Two are on the left bank, and two are on the right. Two are refered to as "inbound" (located in the down tubes after the exhaust headers) and two by the cats, which are the "outbound". An accepted rule is to replace all 4 when one (or more) show faulty. If one is bad now, the others may not be long for this world so to speak.

O2 sensors are not cheap. As good old bill points out, you can throw money at the truck; eventually you will repair it.That is one way to troubleshoot, albeit a costly one.

If you want to know how to test, I strongly urge you to buy a GOOD factory repair manual. I have the Ford shop manuals (volume I and II) along with the wiring manual. Volume II has the test proceedures for checking O2 sensors, along with all the other various sensors. If you're serious, check Ebay, as you can score the 3 factory books for under $100.00 used. I got my set for under $75.00.

The O2 test is lengthy, and at the risk of sounding persnikity, it would take time to write it all down here, and/or scan the wiring connectors test points and post it here. Chances are you don't have the proper test eqiupment to check it all out. At the very least, you also need a special socket/wrench to remove the O2 sensors. That's the cheapest tool to get for all this.

So, you have three choices: 1) buy the factory repair manuals to obtain the proceedures for testing, 2) take the truck to a shop, 3) toss part after part into the truck until it's repaired.

These forums are great for getting answers, but when it comes to "check engine" and trouble codes, it's best to be equipped with good factory manuals to perform a self repair. Lots of folks will chime in with "thats exactly what I had..." or "Mine did the same thing...". They give you a suggested part to replace, and it's a crapshhot at best if you follow their lead in replacing the part in hopes it fixes your problem.

I like most others here did the same you are doing; asked the parts store, mechanic, or posted on a forum in hopes of an easy answer or fix. After tossing money on several faults I got along the way (some worked, some did not), I finally wised up and bought manuals, and read. I then determined what was within my knowledge base and tool set, and what had to go to the shop.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-23-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks Bucko! I think your right about getting the books. For this problem and all the others that come up it would be nice to know how to go about fixing the stuff . Also to know what is involved in a repair if it has to go to the dealer. I suppose it would not hurt to replace the sensors as a set which is probably what I'll do for the speed of the fix and your probably right too that the other 3 are not far behind.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

off topic - i've been looking for these books does anyone have a isbn# for these books?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light came on