Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cheap Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheap Exhaust!

I keep having people ask me what I did to my exhaust and then that is followed up by why.
To answer the Why first, the cost of steel and how proud aftermarket companies are of their products.
Now to answer the what. Take a reciprocating saw and cut the muffler free of the pipe on each end staying as close to the muffler as possible. Have someone hold the tailpipe in the desired location and measure the gap. Cut a piece of pipe to fit and then weld it in. Walla. Loud exhaust for cheap! My local muffler shop charged me 5 bucks for the piece of pipe I needed. Out of curiosity, I also asked what they'd charge for someone to have this done. They said 30-40 bucks. So if you can't weld/don't have a welder. You can still open your truck up for under 50 bucks. Throw in a Stainless clamp on tip from Auto Zone, which actually holds pretty nicely (mine is a 4 1/2") for another 25 bucks and you're set. Good tone and sound.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Exhaust!-truck-exhaust2.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Haha. A "How-to" for straight piping. Nice
Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

illegal in some places, and not true straight pipes, but mine sounded great with out the muff on before i put the kit i have now on
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM

nice work! only as stated before it is not legal in most places to run without a muffler. i just had a flowmaster super 40 siso exiting the stock location installed this morning and it cost me $80 for the muffler and $60 for the install with all new pipe and hangers at my buddies (shop) barn. all welded and custom bent.

it has the sound i wanted and will get a little louder over time but still just right for me. i got all my info from here and made my decision based on that info.

to each his own and as i said nice work.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

^your muffler won't get louder. The only mufflers to get louder are those with some sort of packing in them.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
^your muffler won't get louder. The only mufflers to get louder are those with some sort of packing in them.

every flowmaster i have ever had has gotten a little louder after some burn in time. i have had several.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bellzbub
every flowmaster i have ever had has gotten a little louder after some burn in time. i have had several.
thats because the metal baffles begin to rust out and fast, and an autozone tip? c'mon
Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

^That would be the only way they could, in anyway, get louder.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Raff

Default OK

Originally Posted by abervintageman42
thats because the metal baffles begin to rust out and fast, and an autozone tip? c'mon
Alright, first thing first... I am not knocking you guys who are talking about the flowmasters... I think they're are great mufflers. I've had them, and If I wasn't working my truck on a budget I'd run true duals with 44 series.

Secondly to the guy dissing my tip.. First of all. If you're going to discredit my exhaust tip while you're are discrediting someone else. Get your facts straight. A 40 series muffler is a chambered design. That's what Flowmaster calls their "Delta Flow" Technology. So there aren't any baffles to "rust out"

Thirdly... My AUTOZONE TIP is at least Stainless Steel, as is the pipe that I welded in. You're 40 series that you know so much about is made of 16 gauge Aluminized Steel.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

looks like a good way to open up the exhaust for little cash. any sounds clips?

Quick Reply: Cheap Exhaust!