Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

charging/battery issue. need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default charging/battery issue. need help asap

ok, i have a 05 4x4 screw 4.6. motor is stock besides exhaust and filter.

the other day i went to drive the truck, started up fine, and headin down the street. i made it about 2 blocks til my lights started dimming out, gauges stopped working, and truck died. my battery gauge said my batttery was dead. i had someone jump me and just almost didnt make it back home to drop the truck off. i checked all my fuses and they were good. i then took my battery out to get it checked. the part store said my battery was shot(it wasnt replaced for awhile), so i bought a new one. put it and and was good to go. drive around a little. everything seemed fine. came home, hooked it up to the volts tester to make sure it was not my alternator. everything was holding charge ok.

or so i thought

today i went to drive and start up was a little slow, as soon as i turned my headlights on i could watch the battery gauge drop til my gauges stopped working.went to start it again and just clicked like the battery was dead. i waited about an hour, came back, started right up, then slowly dies. im not sure if i have a short somewhere or if its my alt. any ideas?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id have to go with the alternator.. i got an 08 took it in a pond up over the hood and sprayed the engine off after and mine did the same exact thing as yours and it eventually died but it was all under warranty so they came and picked it up and the alternator had mud in it they replaced it and its been perfect ever since
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

definately an alternator your truck isnt charging while your driving and it draining your battery
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
This picture scares you

Alternator...

Look at the bright side, you now have a battery powered vehicle, wait I guess it would be a hybrid, right???
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im guessing either alternator or ground.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Alternator... Turn on your AC and it will kill almost instantly. I've had it happen before
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Yea, it's prob'ly the alternator. A lot of people don't know that a battery sometimes recovers some of it's power after it sits a while. after the chemical reaction inside the battery has a little time to work, you get a little more juice out of it....................

Quick Reply: charging/battery issue. need help asap