Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Champion 7989 65k mile swap

Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Champion 7989 65k mile swap

Swapped out the 7989s after 65k. I had originally planned at swapping out 60k but finally got around to it after experiencing a little bit of bogging during hard acceleration. None broke however they were still quite difficult to get going just like original motorcrafts I replaced at 75k. The electrode wear was a little less than the motorcrafts however those had an extra 10k on them. This time around I will be putting anitseize on threads.
Attached Thumbnails Champion 7989 65k mile swap-image-1165075957.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MGD (03-09-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought the Champions had the design that they would not break. That was the reason for buying them in the first place.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Champions are terrible.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by wOrker
Champions are terrible.
Terrible? He got 65,000 on them and none broke on the way out. I have about the same on my Champion plugs and I'm going to be changing them soon. I don't have any misfires or anything but I figure its time to swap them anyways. Nice to not have to worry about breaking them on the way out

Good luck with your glorious Motorcraft plugs.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Yep.

Champs are just fine, thank-you very much. The fellers complaining are typically the ones who have never actually tried them in a Triton. So, it's just so much verbal flatulence.

Just change them at 60K or less, gap them correctly (and very carefully - those electrodes are fragile), put the teeniest amount of a/s on the shanks (and threads if yer old-school), and enjoy not having the sphincter-contracting experience of extracting a 2-piece plug.

FWIW - ensure yer success by always using new boots & springs, and applying dielectric properly.

Last edited by MGD; 03-09-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:16 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congrats, he didn't break his 1-piece plugs..

Some work, some don't.

I ran champions plugs two went bad within the first week, chose to return them. What a hassle returning them since they had been installed.. Got my money back in full.

Run motorcraft newer plugs and buy a lisle tool and don't be a bitch. We are aware of the problems with breakage but with proper precautions you'll be fine.

I stand by my comment, champions are terrible - I researched well before I bought them and saw hundreds of mixed reviews. I stand on the latter side, the ones who 'never have tried them'.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran them both in my tritons over the years and had good luck with both. I just have a hard time believing u had two go bad within a week u might have more the a plug problem ^

Last edited by Modular man; 03-14-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly I bought this truck and I know the plugs have never been changed.. I researched heavily into it and saw the common problem - plugs breaking in the head. First thing I did was buy a lisle tool - I'll have it the rest of my life - worth it.

I started researching into plugs, there are a few types of single piece plugs that can be used, and based on the mixed reviews of them all - champion had the overall better average review type from what I've read across many forums and sites. My dad used to be a mechanic at ford for over 25 years to moving to ups working on their tractor trailers.. he said to not go with champion, stay with the motorcraft.. but I told him of the issue and he said try them out but don't say I didn't warn you type of talk...

So I bought champion plugs, 10 of them. 2 extra. I broke a few plugs, lisle, changed them out, new champions. Bang. About after a week driving to work, I went to vegas that weekend to visit my parents, on my way back right as I am getting back into southern california my truck throws a code and you can feel the infamous misfire. FML

I have spare parts for everything, so I start checking the coil and swapping it with a new one, to no avail.

I pull the plug, replace the one misfiring with the a spare I bought, boom. Problem fixed. Literally a few days later another one starts misfiring, same COP swap.. didn't fix. Changed the plug. Boom, fixed.

After that being fixed, I drove my *** to the part store, got motorcraft plugs and pulled all my champions out. I was lucky to have a full refund on my plugs, thank god.. But now it's my breaking plugs and my lisle tool..

Like I said, they may work for some people, but I have read around.. they DO fail for some others.. I am one of them. So far my truck has been running great 18k~ miles later.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:22 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by wOrker
Honestly I bought this truck and I know the plugs have never been changed.. I researched heavily into it and saw the common problem - plugs breaking in the head. First thing I did was buy a lisle tool - I'll have it the rest of my life - worth it.

I started researching into plugs, there are a few types of single piece plugs that can be used, and based on the mixed reviews of them all - champion had the overall better average review type from what I've read across many forums and sites. My dad used to be a mechanic at ford for over 25 years to moving to ups working on their tractor trailers.. he said to not go with champion, stay with the motorcraft.. but I told him of the issue and he said try them out but don't say I didn't warn you type of talk...

So I bought champion plugs, 10 of them. 2 extra. I broke a few plugs, lisle, changed them out, new champions. Bang. About after a week driving to work, I went to vegas that weekend to visit my parents, on my way back right as I am getting back into southern california my truck throws a code and you can feel the infamous misfire. FML

I have spare parts for everything, so I start checking the coil and swapping it with a new one, to no avail.

I pull the plug, replace the one misfiring with the a spare I bought, boom. Problem fixed. Literally a few days later another one starts misfiring, same COP swap.. didn't fix. Changed the plug. Boom, fixed.

After that being fixed, I drove my *** to the part store, got motorcraft plugs and pulled all my champions out. I was lucky to have a full refund on my plugs, thank god.. But now it's my breaking plugs and my lisle tool..

Like I said, they may work for some people, but I have read around.. they DO fail for some others.. I am one of them. So far my truck has been running great 18k~ miles later.
Well now - that was actually well-stated.

For myself - I've installed 7989's in more 3V vehicles than I have fingers & toes.

For me - success is maximized by several crucial things:

- Perform a pre-install inspection on each and every plug ( I found a LOT of cracked/dropped plugs in one shipment, which is why I'll never buy plugs online ).

- NEW boots (and springs) are Mandatory ( the Champ ceramic is smooth, unlike ribbed MC's; hence the old boots will NOT seal properly, causing arcing )

- Proper application of dielectric to boot & plug ceramic

- NO a/s on the threads

- NO a/s on the plug shanks (migratory fouling potential)

- Be very careful gapping them - the firing tip is extremely fragile ( gap them to 0.045 )

- torque them to 25 ft-lbs max

- Change them @ 60K or sooner

- use NEW boots @ every subsequent plug change

So far, not a single misfire or complaint. And subsequent R&R is stress-free cake as you will NEVER break one.

Last edited by MGD; 03-14-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Champion 7989 65k mile swap