Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ceramic Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Idaho Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ceramic Brake Pads

I have a 04 screw 4wd with a 4.6l and with about 167,000 on it.This is the second set becides the OEM and I decided to replace these with ceramic pads to cut down on the dust. Which works good but these thing squeak and squeel something fierce when i step on the brakes! I have never had that happen before on this truck! Does this happen with ceramics or can I stop this squeal??? It wasn't bad in the winter with the windows rolled up, but now its getting nice it's embarrising!!!

Please advise,
Craig

P.S. And these rotors are the oem rotors that came with the truck. I bought a set of rotors on the first brake job and had these sitting in the garage already turned and ready to go...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

That's weird I have Adaptive Ceramic From Napa and they are silent. No sound. What brand do you have? No I don't think that's normal man.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I have HAWK Ceramic and they too are silent and dustless, did you clean up the rotors prior to install..they sound like they got broke in wrong,,
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Idaho Member

Originally Posted by techrep
I have HAWK Ceramic and they too are silent and dustless, did you clean up the rotors prior to install..they sound like they got broke in wrong,,
Broke in wrong? How do you break them in? and they were from Napa...
I didn't know how to break them in and what can I do with them?

Craig
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I "believe" he means, did you use brake cleaner or another solvent to take "all" the packaging oil off the rotors. I have been told in the past, that if this is not done, it reduces the effectiveness of the brake pad; in this case, I wonder if he is suggesting it may cause the squealing.

I am not an expert, but going off of what a) I have heard and b) what is posted here... I also installed the NAPA adaptive ceramic pads with premium rotors last summer and have been 100% satisfied with their performance, their silent nature and durability (so far)..
Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Idaho Member

Originally Posted by mn_f150
I "believe" he means, did you use brake cleaner or another solvent to take "all" the packaging oil off the rotors. I have been told in the past, that if this is not done, it reduces the effectiveness of the brake pad; in this case, I wonder if he is suggesting it may cause the squealing.

I am not an expert, but going off of what a) I have heard and b) what is posted here... I also installed the NAPA adaptive ceramic pads with premium rotors last summer and have been 100% satisfied with their performance, their silent nature and durability (so far)..
Yes, they are good at stopping the truck, and yes i cleaned the packaging oil off the rotors when I installed them.they just make a squeeling soundl. now if I start from way back and start applying pressure slowly, then they are ok....
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I recently replaced my front rotors and brakes. I was really leaning towards ceramic, but heard that they all squeal and are very hard on rotors. I ended up putting Raybestos rotors and Wagner semi-metallic pads on. The Wagner pads were very highly rated because of their excellent stopping power and low dust. I didn't want to have to buy special rotors for ceramics and if they made noise it would drive me crazy.

Ebay came through for me, I got the brakes and rotors brand new for $120 shipped to my door!!! Of course when I took off the old rotors I discovered the PO had replaced the brakes not long before I bought the truck so I basically did a brake job that didn't need to be done BUT the Wagner pads have no fade and much firmer pedal, stops amazing!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Pads