Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

center console alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default center console alternative

I decided to take out my OEM center console due to my 4 year old not being conformable in her car seat on the long drives. The factory setup left her with maybe 5 inches for her legs. I also wanted a security box in the truck for my ipad, gun, etc. so i found a Tuffy center console and installed it. here is the model i went with.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-88-01...2-12-wide.aspx

it is the 016 in black. It actually fits very well. probably like less than an inch on both sides of the front seats. What was great is i used the OEM center console to mark the factory bolt holes. There are 4 large bolts holding down the OEM console i drilled the 4 holesin the TUFFY too use the factory mounting locations. it sits flat and big time solid. I would not go with one much narrower because the factory holes are not that far from the edge. maybe an inch and half. overall it is great and now i can secure a lot of crap. It does have a sport for a stereo but i am not changing my location from the dash so i may mount my cb in there...overall a great mode. height difference from OEM to TUFFy is about 2"...TUFFY shorter but not really a big deal for me. OH...also i took off the OEM cig lighter from the back and installed it in the front of the new console on the passenger side to the side of the cup holder...works great up there so i have 3 up front. one there and the two on the dash.

ps: i know my truck is dirty...i am working on getting it cleaned up this week but here are the pics so you can see how the install looks overall.
Attached Thumbnails center console alternative-imag0144.jpg   center console alternative-imag0145.jpg   center console alternative-imag0149.jpg   center console alternative-imag0152.jpg   center console alternative-imag0148.jpg  

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 07-22-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 AM
07 FX2 Off-Road Capable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool barbie
Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Looks like my last hotel rooms safe...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Is that a work truck? If so, you'd have a reason for it being "cluttered".

Ford also made a very deep center console...I traded my center jump seat (my interior is the same color as yours) straight up for this type of console. There are ads posted in the classifieds often for these types of trades. Some folks get children and want the center jump seat.

When I had this center jump seat, my son would sit on it, and had enough leg room for decent hauls. It looks like the clutter you have is blocking quite a bit of the center leg room. It appears you have a column shift automatic, so the standard shift would not be an issue.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-22-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this is my personal truck but is my work truck..i am a transporter so a lot of miles...in the last 6 weeks i have done about 15-20k in miles. i took some time off so working on cleaning all the crap out and vacuum out the hundreds of cheerios my little one has dropped in the back...hope to have it clean by the end of the day.

what i like about the console is it heavy metal and i can secure everything. a lot more storage room than what i was aiming for but no biggy. biggest thing which bothered me about not having it is i have to haul several thousands in money at times due to pickups and didn't want to carry in my pocket. so between my ipad, cash, and other person stuff i didn't want to be forced to haul it in the every restaurant or gas station we stop at. this help out a lot.

my little one now has a lot more leg room and i don't have to hear her kicking the back of the console for hundreds of miles due to limited room. now she does it for the fun of it. or to annoy me
Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotairgypsy
i am a transporter...

Like a "Jason Statham" Transporter? If so, you're officially the coolest person I've ever talked to.

Quick Reply: center console alternative