Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CB Radio Install Locations

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB Radio Install Locations

I'm interested in installing a CB radio in my 05 Lariat. I was wondering if it was possible to use the overhead storage bins as a mounting location. I would remove the swinging cover from the bin and secure the radio into the opening.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I had one of those "shelf-its" in my '01 Ranger and that's where I had my Grant XL mounted. I loved it being overhead and center. The shelf was also very helpful to mount my radar detector and other goodies. Clean and out of the way. The only issue I occasionally had was the mike bouncing off the hook and peening me in the head.. but that was rare and only when I was goofing about in the snow. I later learned to simply stuff the mike on the shelf before I went playing... problem solved.

I've also been trying to figure out where to put my Grant or 148 in my '04 Lariat.
My truck has a sun roof, so that pretty much eliminates any chance to install a shelf or something to mount the radio overhead. I think I will have to build a custom-console to install my CB and re-locate the video system. I thought of the area to the right of the steering wheel (low), but I can already see my right leg or knee nailing the edge of the radio. Then of course the next scene would be the radio being ripped out and flying out the window!

These trucks don't leave much room for accessories . I like to keep all my installs very clean so I don't like to hack holes into anything. I was also considering the small useless catch-all on top of the dash. That little pocket is just that.. A CATCH ALL (imo), so it might not be a bad place for a radio. My only concern there is the summer heat.

If you can squeeze your radio in your storage bin and you won't bash your skull on the radio - I say go for it. I think overhead is the best place for a CB. Easy to see and operate.

The next issue is where to install the huge Palomar amp... LOL !

PS: Don't forget to run your CB power wires straight to your battery! Never go through your trucks' main electrical system - unless you enjoy engine noise coming through the speakers! Also run GOOD QUALITY coax like Belden. I always used RG-8X (mini-8) in my mobile installs and RG8 for home.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by stankyjeans
I had one of those "shelf-its" in my '01 Ranger and that's where I had my Grant XL mounted. I loved it being overhead and center. The shelf was also very helpful to mount my radar detector and other goodies. Clean and out of the way. The only issue I occasionally had was the mike bouncing off the hook and peening me in the head.. but that was rare and only when I was goofing about in the snow. I later learned to simply stuff the mike on the shelf before I went playing... problem solved.

I've also been trying to figure out where to put my Grant or 148 in my '04 Lariat.
My truck has a sun roof, so that pretty much eliminates any chance to install a shelf or something to mount the radio overhead. I think I will have to build a custom-console to install my CB and re-locate the video system. I thought of the area to the right of the steering wheel (low), but I can already see my right leg or knee nailing the edge of the radio. Then of course the next scene would be the radio being ripped out and flying out the window!

These trucks don't leave much room for accessories . I like to keep all my installs very clean so I don't like to hack holes into anything. I was also considering the small useless catch-all on top of the dash. That little pocket is just that.. A CATCH ALL (imo), so it might not be a bad place for a radio. My only concern there is the summer heat.

If you can squeeze your radio in your storage bin and you won't bash your skull on the radio - I say go for it. I think overhead is the best place for a CB. Easy to see and operate.

The next issue is where to install the huge Palomar amp... LOL !

PS: Don't forget to run your CB power wires straight to your battery! Never go through your trucks' main electrical system - unless you enjoy engine noise coming through the speakers! Also run GOOD QUALITY coax like Belden. I always used RG-8X (mini-8) in my mobile installs and RG8 for home.
I'd be concerned in mounting any type of valuable component in that dash parcel, as it can easily be seen by a crook.

Under the seat perhaps? With a CB, you can buy ones that have the controls in the mic, so changing channels, volume can be done perhaps with it.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:51 AM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
I'd be concerned in mounting any type of valuable component in that dash parcel, as it can easily be seen by a crook.

Under the seat perhaps? With a CB, you can buy ones that have the controls in the mic, so changing channels, volume can be done perhaps with it.
________

Yea, that was my thought too being up in the window like that. Certainly not my first choice of locations. I run a rather large SSB radio, so it's tough to find a place for it.

I was thinking about building a console that sits in that space in front of the stock console. My truck original had the video entertainment stuff in there, but it didn't work right so I took it out. With a home-built console, I can put the CB in there at a slight angle and should have enough room to stuff my amp underneath. Wish it could mount under the dash, but my radio is too long and Ford's dash's don't stick out as much as they used to.

I built a custom 10" sub woofer enclosure that sits under the rear bench, so a console up front should be a snap. The speaker box had all kinds of angles to deal with and space limitations. Took me a while, but it turned out fantastic.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When I installed my CB in my 04 Lariat I just used some sticky velcro and mounted it under the headlight switch on the left side. Had it in there for about 5 months before I traded the truck in and everything came off clean, no residue. Not sure how it would hold up over years of use though. I was able to run my antenna cable behind the plastic hood release cover and then through the grommet under the driver side floorboard. Power was run underneath the dash.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not cb but close enough..this is my vhf