Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Catering to the flareside owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catering to the flareside owners?

Hello everyone!

I'm having a really hard time finding companies that offer exterior mods/accessories for the flareside f 150. I myself own a 05 that's in desperate need of some trim work especially in the back.

If anyone here knows a company or a website that would help me out please let me know!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

What kind of accessories you looking for? Like tonneau covers, bed mats? I agree though parts for flaresides are tough to come by. I've found eBay is my friend
Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
What kind of accessories you looking for? Like tonneau covers, bed mats? I agree though parts for flaresides are tough to come by. I've found eBay is my friend
you guys at lucky though... You guys are rocking fiberglass while I'm rocking the new trending bubbles on my fenders haha
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Haha that made my day! It's a give take situation, bubbling wheel well lips...or a decent hard tonneau cover for a flareside lol
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine will have holes while your rocking a nice finish haha and I bet man if you even find one they are rare so the price will be outa the world.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

What sort of 'trim' are you looking for? Most everything can be had, you just have to dig. I found a nice trifold Lund cover recently for super cheap. Tail lights are still out there, and not priced too high. If you want a toolbox, you'll have to measure -- but there's a good selection available (generally, the Ranger size boxes fit fine, but again, measure)

Aside from having to turn pallets on end to load them (which just takes a minute), love my flareside. I think the supercab/flareside combo is the best looking style they made.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM

Well for starters I'd really love to get my hands on a rollable tonneau cover for the bed.
The tail lights that I came across look god awful in my opinion. Luckily I can swap the headlights with any 11th gen housing kit.
What really brought this question up was me noticing how horrible the infinite number of plastic trim pieces look along side the freshly waxed and buffed body lol!

I'd say to put everything into a nutshell I'd like to find a replacement(s).....
Tail gate-
Tail gate lip-
Complete set of step up trim-
Gas cover/hinge-

Also, have any of you come across a good source for badging replacement? I sincerely despise chrome and think the f150 badges look dreadful. I'd love to see a set reversed with a flat black background and possibly red lettering.
...same thing with the blue ovals.. Those need to go.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Well for starters I'd really love to get my hands on a rollable tonneau cover for the bed.
Rollable, like the hard covers that roll up, or the velcro/snap ones that roll? The former I haven't seen, but the latter is all over ebay.

The tail lights that I came across look god awful in my opinion. Luckily I can swap the headlights with any 11th gen housing kit.
I put Depo LED tail lights on mine. Love 'em, best ones out there IMO.

What really brought this question up was me noticing how horrible the infinite number of plastic trim pieces look along side the freshly waxed and buffed body lol!
First, try a heat gun. If you still don't think it's black enough, you'll need to either paint on or off the truck. Removing them permanently is not an option. My truck doesn't have the plastic stuff on the body, but I did freshen up the cargo hooks with black paint, they look great.

I'd say to put everything into a nutshell I'd like to find a replacement(s).....
Tail gate-
You want a new tailgate? Sorry, does not compute. Something wrong with yours? Junkyard is going to be your best bet. LMC might have a good repro (haven't looked)

Tail gate lip-
Complete set of step up trim-
Replace them if torn up, or paint it/Line-X it. I replaced my black steps with factory parts fairly cheaply. I also kept the originals so that when the new ones fade, I can paint the old ones and cycle them that way.

Also, have any of you come across a good source for badging replacement? I sincerely despise chrome and think the f150 badges look dreadful. I'd love to see a set reversed with a flat black background and possibly red lettering.
...same thing with the blue ovals.. Those need to go.
The only 'different' emblem on the flareside is the tailgate model emblem. I replaced mine with the 09, which you can find on ebay. The tailgate emblem for the flareside is unique to the 09 model year (last year of the style).

As to the other colors, check out other threads here about customizing the emblems, again, only the tailgate is different. All other emblems are the same as the styleside beds.
The following users liked this post:
AvidAjx (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by dom07
Rollable, like the hard covers that roll up, or the velcro/snap ones that roll? The former I haven't seen, but the latter is all over ebay. I put Depo LED tail lights on mine. Love 'em, best ones out there IMO. First, try a heat gun. If you still don't think it's black enough, you'll need to either paint on or off the truck. Removing them permanently is not an option. My truck doesn't have the plastic stuff on the body, but I did freshen up the cargo hooks with black paint, they look great. You want a new tailgate? Sorry, does not compute. Something wrong with yours? Junkyard is going to be your best bet. LMC might have a good repro (haven't looked) Replace them if torn up, or paint it/Line-X it. I replaced my black steps with factory parts fairly cheaply. I also kept the originals so that when the new ones fade, I can paint the old ones and cycle them that way. The only 'different' emblem on the flareside is the tailgate model emblem. I replaced mine with the 09, which you can find on ebay. The tailgate emblem for the flareside is unique to the 09 model year (last year of the style). As to the other colors, check out other threads here about customizing the emblems, again, only the tailgate is different. All other emblems are the same as the styleside beds.

You sir, have just made my day!!! I don't know what made me happier- the fact that you took the time to break my post up, or the fact that you literally answered every question of mine.

Here's my deal on the tailgate-
There's a major amount of scratches throughout the paint matched with an off color red touch up paint that stands out like a sore thumb. Also, my latch/handle doesn't work properly along with the fitting for the tailgate itself. I'm constantly having to baby the tailgate as I close it to prevent it from further damaging the paint on the edges.

As for the taillights- how long have you had them? Do you have any pictures with them installed. I'm personally not a fan of LEDS and from what I can make out of the pictures it looks like each and every bulb shows in the light.

...i still may just keep them factory and smoke them out.

Great tip btw on the fitting for the emblem! I'll defiantly take a peak on the forums for some painting tips. Unfortunately I don't have the steadiest hand so I may still need to out source that.

With respects to the heat gun- I've heard many many mixed opinions on this method.. I have yet to try it but I've watched many many videos on YouTube about it. It sure would be a lot cheaper than buying a paint and clear coat lol!

As for the cover, I'm not a 100% sure. There was a cover originally installed on the truck. I still have the track on there. I'm hoping it's one that I can roll up by hand.. From your last post you said the ford ranger might be an area of interest for parts like that?

Once again, thanks a million for all of your help and advice! Have a great weekend!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:07 PM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

We have tonneau covers for 2004-2008 F150s with Flareside beds: ACCESS Roll-Up Covers. Let me know if you have any questions!

Quick Reply: Catering to the flareside owners?