Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Catback dual exhuast to true duals - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Proud F150 Owner!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Catback dual exhuast to true duals - worth it?

I currently have a si/do Flowmaster 40 series cat back exhaust, got it as a kit and put it on myself. While I love the tone Flowmaster gives, I've always wanted it to be louder. Would going to true duals with say, Flowmaster 10's, be drastically different in volume? Would replacing the cats with hi-flow cats benefit at all? Just looking for some more volume.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Proud F150 Owner!

Anyone?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I have true duals and love it. On the truck when I bought it and it sounds perfect!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Ford Man

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough to get really loud with these trucks, not a lot of volume left after going through two CATS. If its volume your after replace CATS with single high flow ones and you'll see a difference. The other option is straight pipes(no muffler)
Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High flow cats will definitely get you more volume but true duals is for sure worth it in my opinion.

When I got mine I looked at si/do but just committed to true duals (Dynomax bullets) and have not regretted it once.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Get those back cats cut off or make them empty, i have true duals and its not all that loud. So if you are looking for more id start there with a hammer chisle and a sawzall lol
Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Proud F150 Owner!

Thanks guys. Would it make sense to replace all 4 cats with hi-flows? Like I said I love the flowmaster tone which is why I'm thinking get rid of the 40 series and do true duals with two 10 series mufflers.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
So cold in the D

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hi-flow cats are a gimmick. As long as your cats aren't clogged, leave them or cut them out completely. Now, universal hi-flows are often cheaper than OEM-provided cats, and you might get weight savings.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had true dual super 10's and I had the rear set of cats on my 04 FX4 (5.4L) removed when they installed that set up. It was pretty loud in my opinion but there was a lot of cab noise when cruising which got old fast on 4 hour drives back and fourth to college on weekends. Ran that for about a year, switched over to the dynomax bullets, which do sound much cleaner than the super 10's. Super 10's had a bit of a crackle to them when you jump on it where the bullets are a smoother sound. I'd still really like to say screw it all and run a nice new Corsa or Borla exhaust set up. I'd take tone over volume any day, thats why I want to swap to Corsa or Borla. That wasn't as much the case in high school for me, loud was king haha!

Also consider what diameter tubing will be used on your new system. 2.25 will be louder than 2.5 or 3" but the smaller the pipe the more poppy it will sound. Bigger diameter will be deeper and cleaner. If I were to redo mine I'd go 3" all the way instead of 2.5" and probably swap to high flow cats. If you go with true duals make sure you X-pipe it so you get even flow.

When it comes to the high flow cats I'm not your guy, no experience there but if you ever look through the stock cats, well, you can't see but a pin hole of daylight through them. I can only imagine high flow cats would make a big difference in performance and exhaust gas flow, so I would probably recommend it if you've got the money to blow!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my rear cats replaced with magnaflow highflows, ran two pipes through an x pipe, and exited both pipes before the rear passenger tire, and threw some nice 5 inch tips on it. Looks good. But it's not that loud. Its got a really deep sound. But not loud.

If you want it loud I would at least remove the rear set of cats, if not replace the front cats with high flows.

At that point I would definitely suggest a glasspack or muffler as it would probably sound pretty raspy and high pitch. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Catback dual exhuast to true duals - worth it?