Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Catalytic Converters

I'm getting ready to take my truck to the muffler shop and put on a Flowmaster Super 44 exhaust muffler SI/DO. I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me what the catalytic converter is, and what happens when you take it out? When you take the CC out, does that mean that I can run "True Duals"? And if so, what's the difference between true duals and si/do?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Google or wiki it, For one it helps reduce the emissions by aiding the unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas to burn before leaving the pipes. Also to make us spend a but load of money to replace by clogging up from things such as faulty injectors, rich running programmers adding to much fuel. You will fail emissions tesing if you remove it when they bring them back. Which they will for sate revenue at some point. I think our motors are designed with them in line and help keep the low end torque up just a tad.
Look up the exhaust thread from OTTO good read.
The following users liked this post:
FL0rida CrAcK3r (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by sglover
Google or wiki it, For one it helps reduce the emissions by aiding the unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas to burn before leaving the pipes. Also to make us spend a but load of money to replace by clogging up from things such as faulty injectors, rich running programmers adding to much fuel. You will fail emissions tesing if you remove it when they bring them back. Which they will for sate revenue at some point. I think our motors are designed with them in line and help keep the low end torque up just a tad.
Look up the exhaust thread from OTTO good read.
I did google it, but the wiki thing just told me it helps reduce pollution or some shiz. I'd just like to know what it does from an exhaust stand point.

Does it make it louder?
Does it mess my truck up by taking it out?
Does it make my truck better by taking it out?
What in the heck is true duals?

Those type of things. lol. Thanks for the response. I'm going to see if I can find the thread you were talking about.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Some shops wont mess with the CC unless ur puting on a new one
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Illegal not to have a Cat either.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

i hear you can assemble a true dual offroad exhaust with gutted or deleted cats, with the o2 sensors still bunged in but with restrictor plugs that dont let all the exhaust gas get to the o2 and not throw a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and maybe even pass emissionsin some cases.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It's my understanding that its difficult to install true duals on our trucks due to location of the fuel tank.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Your 06 will have one cat on each side. Let's sort out a few things first:
1. Removing them completely is illegal (federal law)
2. Removing them doesn't produce any more power
3. If not tuned for it, yes your a/f will be off by removing them and your rear O2's will throw a code.

If you're looking for louder, you can replace them with "high flow" cats. That is the only reason to mess with them if you want a louder sound, otherwise it's not worth the trouble.

"True duals" is a old term that should be banned. True duals use to refer to one pipe coming from each manifold with no cross over, which creates a horrible imbalance in exhaust pulses. Today we just use the term duals. This is a system where each manifold comes down and connects together briefly in a X or H configuration. This balances the pulses and promotes better exhaust operation. A SI/DO single in/dual out is just as it sounds. Pipe from the manifold comes together in a single pipe from the Y, then (usually at the muffler) splits back into 2 pipes. It gives a good torque profile while giving the look of duals.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Illegal not to have a Cat either.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't like to break the law, so this is definitely out of the question.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by otto457
Your 06 will have one cat on each side. Let's sort out a few things first:
1. Removing them completely is illegal (federal law)
2. Removing them doesn't produce any more power
3. If not tuned for it, yes your a/f will be off by removing them and your rear O2's will throw a code.

If you're looking for louder, you can replace them with "high flow" cats. That is the only reason to mess with them if you want a louder sound, otherwise it's not worth the trouble.

"True duals" is a old term that should be banned. True duals use to refer to one pipe coming from each manifold with no cross over, which creates a horrible imbalance in exhaust pulses. Today we just use the term duals. This is a system where each manifold comes down and connects together briefly in a X or H configuration. This balances the pulses and promotes better exhaust operation. A SI/DO single in/dual out is just as it sounds. Pipe from the manifold comes together in a single pipe from the Y, then (usually at the muffler) splits back into 2 pipes. It gives a good torque profile while giving the look of duals.
That's extremely helpful information.

So what is an "x" pipe and where does it go?

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converters