Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
MONEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Catalytic Converter

Got an 04 F150 and I was wondering if anyone here has cut their convertor off. I was just wondering what the truck did because I'm thinking of cutting it off and adding an exhaust. Tell me what ya think
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by volsplaya
Got an 04 F150 and I was wondering if anyone here has cut their convertor off. I was just wondering what the truck did because I'm thinking of cutting it off and adding an exhaust. Tell me what ya think

hell yea vols!!!! im a student, how bout you, and i would say it would prob make your pcm throw some codes and maybe mess up your O2 sensor readings
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Catalytic Converters were put there for a reason. In my area i dont think you could pass inspections when they put the exaust sniffer on your tailpipe. If you have ever smelled the exaust from an older vehicle you can tell it cleans the exaust by a lot. I have a 1967 F100 pickup that doesnt require converters because they werent around when the pickup was built. If you stand behind it and get a whiff of the fumes it makes my stomach queezy. You can smell the unburned exaust big time. Converters may bog down an engine a little but its better for our breathing and helps pollution.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Since you have an 04 you have 4 cats. If you cut the rear two cats off you will be fine, but if you mess with the fronts you will throw a code.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
MONEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I'm a student I have a blue and tan lifted F150. As far as the pollution matter ole boy is talking about we don't have those laws in TN. Call us rednecks, but we like loud trucks around here
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
Catalytic Converters were put there for a reason. In my area i dont think you could pass inspections when they put the exaust sniffer on your tailpipe. If you have ever smelled the exaust from an older vehicle you can tell it cleans the exaust by a lot. I have a 1967 F100 pickup that doesnt require converters because they werent around when the pickup was built. If you stand behind it and get a whiff of the fumes it makes my stomach queezy. You can smell the unburned exaust big time. Converters may bog down an engine a little but its better for our breathing and helps pollution.
They still use the sniffers in Tx. ??? I haven't had seen them do it to my truck the past three times I've had the emissions done.

I agree about the pollution deal. But why does it matter when the county next to you doesn't have emissions!??!? I mean if a state is going to choose to be a *clean air* state shouldn't the ENTIRE state fall under that rule? I would thing so. There are several counties here in Ga. that are exempt. Makes no sense to me, it almost seems like a way to make money...hmmm.

Don't throw them away Vols, they'll bring you some good extra cash! I paid big money getting two drivers sides replaced last year! You can sell the used ones off. Heck, how much you want for the old ones! lol

Last edited by Darth Bama; 03-04-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
cwcw

Originally Posted by Darth Bama
They still use the sniffers in Tx. ??? I haven't had seen them do it to my truck the past three times I've had the emissions done.
They used it on my 2006 F150 the last time i went to get my inspection done. It looks like a tiny microphone that clips to the tailpipe and a cord that runs up to the machine.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

They used it on my 2006 F150 the last time i went to get my inspection done. It looks like a tiny microphone that clips to the tailpipe and a cord that runs up to the machine.
The only thing they do here is plug into the port under the dash...wait about 5 minutes and you hand them 25 bucks. lol
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
cwcw

Originally Posted by Darth Bama

I agree about the pollution deal. But why does it matter when the county next to you doesn't have emissions!??!? I mean if a state is going to choose to be a *clean air* state shouldn't the ENTIRE state fall under that rule? I would thing so. There are several counties here in Ga. that are exempt. Makes no sense to me, it almost seems like a way to make money...hmmm.

Don't throw them away Vols, they'll bring you some good extra cash! I paid big money getting two drivers sides replaced last year! You can sell the used ones off. Heck, how much you want for the old ones! lol
Bama, i totally agree that it should be an all or none thing to do any good or for it to make sense. Its like going to Chili's or Applebees and sitting in the no smoking section that is literally 5 feet away from the smoking section with no wall or bearier in between. Whats the point of that? Do i smell and breathe smoke 5 ft away, yep. So the separation is dumb. No slam to smokers cause it doesnt bother me too much but i think it should be all or none.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Bama, i totally agree that it should be an all or none thing to do any good or for it to make sense. Its like going to Chili's or Applebees and sitting in the no smoking section that is literally 5 feet away from the smoking section with no wall or bearier in between. Whats the point of that? Do i smell and breathe smoke 5 ft away, yep. So the separation is dumb. No slam to smokers cause it doesnt bother me too much but i think it should be all or none.
Man, that is a great point. Although I think Ga. is a no-smoking state now. I haven't been to a restaurant and seen ANYONE smoking inside. They'll all be standing outside puffing...lol

No dig to smokers...smoke all the stink sticks you want.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter