Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CAT. CONVERTER Rattling. Replace single or multiple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAT. CONVERTER Rattling. Replace single or multiple?

I have a clunker rattle that is pretty embarrassing if anyone can hear it when I come to a stop at stop lights. It just started, had a friend look to make sure I was right it is not a heat shield.
Does anyone have experience with replacing them. Should I replace just the bad rear one, or all 4 of them or what?
Its a 2004 F150 4.6L. 2WD 120k miles and has been straight piped single pipe for last 30-40k miles. Sounds great and don't want to change that.
No I do not want to delete the Cats. meow.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkstarskater8
I have a clunker rattle that is pretty embarrassing if anyone can hear it when I come to a stop at stop lights. It just started, had a friend look to make sure I was right it is not a heat shield.
Does anyone have experience with replacing them. Should I replace just the bad rear one, or all 4 of them or what?
Its a 2004 F150 4.6L. 2WD 120k miles and has been straight piped single pipe for last 30-40k miles. Sounds great and don't want to change that.
You can delete the rear two so that you don't replace the rear one. I believe 06 or 05 and up on have the two front with the sensors. If you don't want to delete the rear two just replace the one that is bad with a factory cat.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Delete the rear 2 and replace the front 2 with some high flow cats...
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Well, trucks getting true duals on today.
It seems nobody makes a universal for the front 2 cats. To replace all 4 cats, it would be near $1500.
To get true duals, deleting rear cats, performance mufflers, tips and all should be around $400.
Just hoping its going to sound good, they say it will sound better but my sound was just right straight pipe single off of all 4 cats.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Delete the rear 2 and replace the front 2 with some high flow cats...
What he said
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you gotten it done yet?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 PM

I don't have the time to get on here as often as I'd like but yes I had it done and had all 4 deleted. At first super raspy nasty sound, I was actually upset about it, hard to believe the guy that it would even out and sound good after warming up and cooling down after a while but he was right.
Much much louder but it sounds sweeet. Definitely turns head as they think its a real hot rod coming then see its just a good ol F150.
I have gotten a lot of compliments on the sound.
On another note, I finally bought a tuner from PHP, (An edge converted to their "Gryphon ". Ran transmission only mode until they got my custom tunes done and I must say, making the transmission shift right fixes 50% or more of the lag and saggy sadness. I was smiling instantly.
got my custom tunes just last week and I am now running the 87 performance tune they wrote. I like it but it seems they turned down the transmission shifting under normal acceleration compared to the stock transmission only tune.
Another thing is on the interstate at about 60+ mph, I tromped it and it went to 2nd so hard my hood and wipers almost came thru the windshield
I may do some changing on some of the shifts but overall ITS WELL WORTH THE MONEY.
Not to mention the 0-60 timer and 1/4 mile run is fun.
0-60 9.3 Seconds
1/4 Mile 16.7 Seconds Only tried one run on that.
Another thing, it says I am getting around 19 sometimes 20mpg. After this tank I will calculate it at the pump and see how true it is. My recent avg. would be 16-17 mpg.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Another thing is on the interstate at about 60+ mph, I tromped it and it went to 2nd so hard my hood and wipers almost came thru the windshield

Quick Reply: CAT. CONVERTER Rattling. Replace single or multiple?