CAT. CONVERTER Rattling. Replace single or multiple? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150

CAT. CONVERTER Rattling. Replace single or multiple?

Old 04-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default CAT. CONVERTER Rattling. Replace single or multiple?

I have a clunker rattle that is pretty embarrassing if anyone can hear it when I come to a stop at stop lights. It just started, had a friend look to make sure I was right it is not a heat shield.
Does anyone have experience with replacing them. Should I replace just the bad rear one, or all 4 of them or what?
Its a 2004 F150 4.6L. 2WD 120k miles and has been straight piped single pipe for last 30-40k miles. Sounds great and don't want to change that.
No I do not want to delete the Cats. meow.
Darkstarskater8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstarskater8 View Post
I have a clunker rattle that is pretty embarrassing if anyone can hear it when I come to a stop at stop lights. It just started, had a friend look to make sure I was right it is not a heat shield.
Does anyone have experience with replacing them. Should I replace just the bad rear one, or all 4 of them or what?
Its a 2004 F150 4.6L. 2WD 120k miles and has been straight piped single pipe for last 30-40k miles. Sounds great and don't want to change that.
You can delete the rear two so that you don't replace the rear one. I believe 06 or 05 and up on have the two front with the sensors. If you don't want to delete the rear two just replace the one that is bad with a factory cat.
04 Lucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Mark
5 Year Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Delete the rear 2 and replace the front 2 with some high flow cats...
08 FX4... Flowmaster Exhaust, line-X, Sky Jacker leveling kit. 295/65/20 Nitto trails mounted on 20 X 9 Carol Shelby wheels. AIRAID CAI. Harley headlamps and LED Tails & 3rd brake lights,custom upper and lower Grill. Edge Evolution. Interior/Exterior LED lighting, NFAB step bars.
techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Well, trucks getting true duals on today.
It seems nobody makes a universal for the front 2 cats. To replace all 4 cats, it would be near $1500.
To get true duals, deleting rear cats, performance mufflers, tips and all should be around $400.
Just hoping its going to sound good, they say it will sound better but my sound was just right straight pipe single off of all 4 cats.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrep View Post
Delete the rear 2 and replace the front 2 with some high flow cats...
What he said
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Have you gotten it done yet?
04 Lucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

I don't have the time to get on here as often as I'd like but yes I had it done and had all 4 deleted. At first super raspy nasty sound, I was actually upset about it, hard to believe the guy that it would even out and sound good after warming up and cooling down after a while but he was right.
Much much louder but it sounds sweeet. Definitely turns head as they think its a real hot rod coming then see its just a good ol F150.
I have gotten a lot of compliments on the sound.
On another note, I finally bought a tuner from PHP, (An edge converted to their "Gryphon ". Ran transmission only mode until they got my custom tunes done and I must say, making the transmission shift right fixes 50% or more of the lag and saggy sadness. I was smiling instantly.
got my custom tunes just last week and I am now running the 87 performance tune they wrote. I like it but it seems they turned down the transmission shifting under normal acceleration compared to the stock transmission only tune.
Another thing is on the interstate at about 60+ mph, I tromped it and it went to 2nd so hard my hood and wipers almost came thru the windshield
I may do some changing on some of the shifts but overall ITS WELL WORTH THE MONEY.
Not to mention the 0-60 timer and 1/4 mile run is fun.
0-60 9.3 Seconds
1/4 Mile 16.7 Seconds Only tried one run on that.
Another thing, it says I am getting around 19 sometimes 20mpg. After this tank I will calculate it at the pump and see how true it is. My recent avg. would be 16-17 mpg.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Another thing is on the interstate at about 60+ mph, I tromped it and it went to 2nd so hard my hood and wipers almost came thru the windshield
HulluCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Tags
2004 - 2008 ford f150, cats, converters