Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Car Seat - 2006 Supercab

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Car Seat - 2006 Supercab

Gentlemen,

I have my first kid due at the end of this month. I go to install the rear facing car seat tonight, and I ran into what I believe to be a problem. I'd say at least 25% of the base is hanging over the edge.

Name:  IMG_2077_zpsw8nkh3as.jpeg
Views: 16518
Size:  181.4 KB

I used the two latches in the truck seat, which I believe are there strictly for child car seats so obviously these trucks are designed with car seats in mind, but that still doesn't seem right. Are they only for forward facing car seats? I'm hoping you'll have some good news because the wife spent months before deciding on this one and I'd rather not go through that again. So is this ok as far as safety is concerned? It's in their pretty snug otherwise.

But if you tell me I need to buy a new truck with the crewcab, that will be fine too.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

As long as your base is firmly in place and the seat rides at the proper angle, the over hang is fine.

I thought I was going to run into this issue and wasn't even sure my SCAB would hold a car seat and be anle to have someone in the front seat... I had buckets and was considering just putting the seat in the middle. My situation changed though... Wife got preggo in Jan, totaled SCAB in May, bought SCrew in June. My issue solved itself before I was able to field test lol
The following users liked this post:
JoePal (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the baby seat in the middle on my supercab and it works fine.
JoePal (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

You need to buy a new truck with the supercab + 3rd row.

The following 2 users liked this post by Toshbar:
JoePal (01-03-2016), xMUDKINGx (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, congratulations!

I've been through the same situation over the last two years with my "minivan" (2006 F-150 supercab)....the best minivan I might add.

I would highly suggest you consult with the manufacturer of the car seat for the amount of overhang which is acceptable. They are the only one that can provide you the correct answer. That information should be in the owners manual for the car set. If not, I would contact them directly or the company which you purchased your car seat. I would also review the child seat section of your F-150 owners manual in detail. The LUAS anchors are for either forward or rear facing car seats, but are limited to children under a certain weight (40 lbs???), depending on the car manufacturer.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...OwnerGuidePage

I have two kids, both now in the forward facing car seats. I use to have one in the rear facing position and the other forward facing. I placed the rear facing car seat in the middle as I couldn't comfortably sit in the drivers or passenger seat with the rear facing seat behind either of those seats. I have front bench/jump seats and had to place the back of the jump seat in the down position for the car seat to fit. There was some overhang, but within the manufactures specifications. If my memory is correct, the lower universal anchorage system (LUAS) in the 2006 F-150 scab is for the outboard rear seat positions only (not for a car seat in the middle position). I used the rear middle seat belt to secure the base for the rear facing seat in the middle seat position. We used a Graco rear facing car seat.

I can appreciate the effort, agony, and cost when selecting and purchasing an infant/child car seat. If you are not able to use your car seat in your F-150, you may want to purchase another rear facing car seat, but tell your partner you need a supercrew! The rear facing car seat is temporary (1-2 years), but in a scab there isn't a lot of room for the kids in a forward facing car seat (without them kicking the back of the front seats...and my wife and I are short 5' 8"). I can provide pics if you need.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
JoePal (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations brother.
JoePal (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jshillin
I have the baby seat in the middle on my supercab and it works fine.
This is what I did also.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, guys. I did move it to the middle and the console actually limits the little bit of side to side movement even more. The seat angle is correct so I think we're good. I'll double check this with the manufacturer but it sounds like I don't get to buy a new truck.

Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some overhang should be fine. But yes check with the manufacture for the allowable limit. If you're using the latch system and its in the center check with your owners manual to see if it's for the center or just the outboard positions. They are a pain to install properly I had to take a week long class to learn how to inspect them to make sure they were installed properly. You may want to check with your local PD to see if they have any techs that can check your install. Congrats on the new addition
Old 04-23-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graco Fits

I was trying to figure out if our rear facing Graco seat fits in the middle of the backseat in an F-150 supercab so I went to a Ford dealer. The car seat + base fits in the back of a 2000 model with the 60/40 split 6-seater. My wife and I, who are both 5'7, had more room in the front seats than I have in my Jeep Wrangler with the seats all the way back. If you do away with the base, it gives you an extra couple of inches on top of that.
And really, who doesn't want an extra couple of inches

Quick Reply: Car Seat - 2006 Supercab