Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

To cap, or not to cap....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To cap, or not to cap....

Looking into getting a cap and was hoping to see a few pics with lifted F150s that have caps. Personally, I'm thinking about a LEER 100XL, but I'm concerned about the color matching....

Positive vibes?! If you have cap color horror stories though, I'm all ears too. >.<

-- vvvvv -The 100XL- vvvvv --

Thx,

- JD -

Last edited by Disciple; 03-20-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at that same cap. I've seen a few running around town and they have all seemed to match pretty well. They're just so expensive...
Old 03-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I have a leer cap on my fire red 08. the color is very close. I had to have the truck's paint scanned and send them the information. Leer had to re do my cap several times. for a lot of issues the first one the paint was several shades off, had a lot of dents in the trim and the carpet was falling out when I got it.

they took it back and reshot the cap but they didn't tape everything and when they shot it they got paint all over the carpet but they fixed the trim. it went back and they finally got it close to right.

When you get your cap spend the extra money and get the removable front window. it lets you clean the truck rear window and the back window of the cap so you will not have as bad water spots or durt build up.

I also had them put in the gun box. it takes a little room from the inside of the cap but I use it as storage and when I am hunting I put my shorguns in it, you can not see the box trough the windlws unless you really look for it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:50 PM

I have the same cap for my truck.

It's sitting in my garage now tho. I had it on for about a month, hated the fact it was hard to see with the rearview mirror, and plus it makes it look like a Suburban.

I don't want a Suburban, so I certainly don't want the look of one.

I purchased a BakFlip Tonneau cover shortly after I took the cap off. I am keeping the Cap for whenever I go up the river Salmon fishing, or am going to a concert or a road trip with the guys: put the cap on, blow up an air-mattress and throw it in the bed roughing it with the guys
Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM

a cap isn't for everyone but I love mine. I have two trucks and they both have caps on them.

I do a lot of hunting and fishing. it is nice to have the extra head room and protection for my hunting gear and if you have dogs it is even better. no messy dogs in the cab and they are still protected.

When we go to the beach we use the cap as a changing station. and I alway got a place to sleep.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leveled, NOT lifted but gives you an idea. Unsure on painting mine, just dont want it to look like a big suv or excursion.
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Yes! on the cap

Leer was my #1 choice the second choice was SnugTop.

the window design make the cap look good or not. in my opinion.

I found mine on craigs list as you see it on my truck. I was very lucky.
Attached Thumbnails To cap, or not to cap....-img_1148-2-.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 AM

Thx a million guys!

Great info and NICE trucks! I'll let you know what I end up with, which should be in the next few weeks. Definitely going with your advice and getting the removable front window. From what I gathered when I contacted Car-Mic (Leer dealer), they can "easily match" the color since it's still factory and they can use the color code.... I'll believe it when I see it! lol

Thx again!

- JD -
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM

I will post a picture today of my truck. Look at the gun box, even if you don't hunt it is still very useful for storage.

I not only put my guns in it I put fishing rods in it and right now it has my jumper cables, gloves and a pry ax (fire fighting tool) in it. The box is a good way to keep thing up and out of the way.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Snug top Sportsmen

Forgot to mention mine is a snugtop
I looked for 6 weeks found this one
680.00 on craigs list it was on a late model
white truck.

Also
I bought a used one for my 2003 F150 seen in my profile Photo's
I had that one painted two tone. the paint was three years old in the picture that top was red when I bought it. I removed the windows and back door the paint came out good

so I have had good luck with paint.

Quick Reply: To cap, or not to cap....