Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can't get lug nuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get lug nuts off

I bought a 2006 f150 xlt from a small dealer add have come across some problems with getting my lug nuts off. They are after market rims, nice looking but not practical at all when it comes time to try to get the tire off.

It's difficult to find me a socket with thin enough walls to fit on there until I smack it in there good with a hammer then I have to deal with getting the socket off.

Anyone have any advice on how to make this easier? New rims isn't much of an option now, but what about shaving down the rim surrounding the nuts? Just don't know if they will do any harm to the strength of the rim or if it would even be able to shave off.

Help please!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:00 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

I would just smack the socket on there like you said.

Once the nut comes off you can take the socket off the nut.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MattCrawford
I bought a 2006 f150 xlt from a small dealer add have come across some problems with getting my lug nuts off. They are after market rims, nice looking but not practical at all when it comes time to try to get the tire off.

It's difficult to find me a socket with thin enough walls to fit on there until I smack it in there good with a hammer then I have to deal with getting the socket off.

Anyone have any advice on how to make this easier? New rims isn't much of an option now, but what about shaving down the rim surrounding the nuts? Just don't know if they will do any harm to the strength of the rim or if it would even be able to shave off.

Help please!
Most new rims come with new lugs as well as a socket that fits in between the rim and the lugs. If the brand of the rim is on the outside of it you could just look the company up and give them a call. They're bound to have the socket you need.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MattCrawford

Help please!

As a technician working on vehicles i come across rims like this all the time, even my own f150 i have aftermarket rims with acorn style lugs with very little room that any normal socket does not fit, you have to get a thin wall impact socket and it should fit fine, any auto parts store should have some for sale.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GumboSlice
As a technician working on vehicles i come across rims like this all the time, even my own f150 i have aftermarket rims with acorn style lugs with very little room that any normal socket does not fit, you have to get a thin wall impact socket and it should fit fine, any auto parts store should have some for sale.
This ^^

I keep an impact socket in the glove box for this same reason.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

thin wall 21mm or 19mm which ever one you have.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh I just hated ur I can't get a nut off
Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Once you do get them loose/removed, spray a bit of motorcycle chain lube on the threads and inner lug nut threads; this will help them from becoming seized.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GumboSlice
This very much ^^, I had this problem with my older cobra. Buy a few, one for truck, shop, etc.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bbdaddy1221
Oh I just hated ur I can't get a nut off
That was useful, NOT. Wasn't even intelligible.

Quick Reply: Can't get lug nuts off