Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

cant find electrical problem on 04 f150 fx4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant find electrical problem on 04 f150 fx4

radio kills battery and only works when the headlights are on. no corrosion on the gem module, and dont see any windshield leaks anywhere although i get frost on inside of windshield.some times heard what sounds like the fuel pump running after truck is off, have new battery and pulled radio fuse, battery is not draining but want my radio back. if any one can help i will appreciate it. i have on 04 f150 fx4
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Not qualified to answer your question, definately not normal. Is this an aftermarket installation? How long has it been like this? Help should be along soon.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:34 PM

everything is factory on this truck
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Perhaps the knowledgable sorts will chime in now knowing its factory. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by albert mikes
radio kills battery and only works when the headlights are on. no corrosion on the gem module, and dont see any windshield leaks anywhere although i get frost on inside of windshield.some times heard what sounds like the fuel pump running after truck is off, have new battery and pulled radio fuse, battery is not draining but want my radio back. if any one can help i will appreciate it. i have on 04 f150 fx4
The radio only works when the headlights are on?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 AM

yes only works with headlights on and it displays the word phone and ive never had any type of phone option
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Well, the phone light comes on when you press the phone button to sync with your phone. The radio's seem to be a generic design for several vehicles, but the button is on most so that is what that is.

With all of this, there has to be a short somewhere. Your comment about the frost makes me suspicious about a faulty ground back behind the radio/dash area that is sucking your battery dry. Maybe one of the radio guys in here will have an idea.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM

Default 04 fx4 radio kills battery

took radio out and dash apart, no signs of any water.also cd changer wont eject cds, is there any chance this is a bad radio that would kill my battery and wouldnt work unless headlights were on? and is there any way to see if the problem is the radio other than putting the fuse back in and seeing if it kills my battery. i seem to have no other
electrical problems other than the radio thank you
Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by albert mikes
took radio out and dash apart, no signs of any water.also cd changer wont eject cds, is there any chance this is a bad radio that would kill my battery and wouldnt work unless headlights were on? and is there any way to see if the problem is the radio other than putting the fuse back in and seeing if it kills my battery. i seem to have no other
electrical problems other than the radio thank you
If the CD changer is having issues too it could be the radio itself causing the issue. At this point, I think more experience is needed. I will try and round up some of the radio guys and see what they think.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Default cant find electrical problem on my 04 fx4

it rained alot this weekend and found that my parking lights and dash lights were not working, found a blown fuse and it seems to be fine now, but my radio still doesnt work. my rear window seems to leak ,is there anything on that rear cab wall that might be effecting the radio causing it to draw on the battery?

Quick Reply: cant find electrical problem on 04 f150 fx4