Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can I do anything about the boring XLT gauges (swap or overlay)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Sharp Shooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I do anything about the boring XLT gauges (swap or overlay)?

I've got a 2008 F150 XLT which has the tach and oil/water/battery/fuel instrumentation. I really like the FX4, Lariat, and HD gauge setup but the XLT's is very plain jane.

I've done a few searches but there are no definitive answers. Will the FX4 cluster swap directly in and just need to be reprogrammed by the dealer? Will it need to be a 2008 year model cluster or will any year 04-08 work? I'd really prefer to go this route. Does anyone know how much the reprogramming should cost so I don't get ripped off?

Does anyone know what options are available as far as gauge bezel overlays as well as a possibly more affordable option just to spice up the boring look of the XLT's setup? I think even a nice bezel would go a long way towards making it look better, but I can't even find one. Best I've found so far is this (click here) which would look good with the blue lighting on my Pioneer head unit, but the brushed stainless look doesn't really go with anything else on the truck or interior.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Josh - First off welcome to the boards! From everything I have read the swap can be done, but the new cluster will show the mileage of the vehicle it came out of or if purchased new will show 0 miles. Some dealers can reprogram the new cluster, some can't . As far as I know the 04-08 models are all the same so any year cluster should work in your truck, but may want to talk to your dealership just to confirm.

Also PM sent.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM

i was wanting to do the same with my cluster. i went on EBAY and found this listing. is this what you had in mind? its a silver/white overlay 75 bucks

link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08...spagenameZWD1V

hope this helps.

Nick
Old 01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Sharp Shooter

Good link. I prefer the font on the link I posted for the ebay overlays but you're talking about a huge price difference...I don't like it that much better. LOL

I ended up doing a ton of looking around and found a really nice black bezel overlay with chrome trim on www.myhotf150.com. We'll see how it looks. I saw that one company made replacement needles that looks really nice (same company as I linked in the first post), and that would really spice up the cluster, but they don't sell them separately for our trucks that I've found. I'm going to keep hunting.

Quick Reply: Can I do anything about the boring XLT gauges (swap or overlay)?