Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can anyone help me understand "tunes"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Can anyone help me understand "tunes"?

Alright, I am not new to the automotive experience but I am confused as hell. I read alot about "Tunes" thrown around here. I don't understand what that actually is, what they do, how many there are, where to get them, etc.

Basically, I need to "Tunes for Dummies" book. Can anyone clear this up?

(PS- I searched the forums and FAQ's but all I got was people talking about which ones they have or want and their queries regarding them.)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tunes are custom programming or "Flash" to your PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or your Computer that controls everything on your truck. gone are the days of tweaking this or tweaking that without adjusting the the parameters of the computer. Tunes are what used to be known as "Chips" for the PCM....there are "canned" tunes meaning straight off the shelve for your year model and make...and then there are Custom Tunes that some companies write for your truck based on your modifications and your desired prformance....most people have real good luck with all of this...my experience is proving to be a bit more trying than I had expected.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Can someone post a link of where to get different versions?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

superchips.com they have pretty much paved the way for "tunes"
Also check out edge, hypertech, bullydog, ets, go to
autoanything.com and look at the "programmer section I believe.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

www.sctflash.com
www.vmptuning.com (sct)
www.troyerperformance.com (sct)
http://www.edgeproducts.com/
www.powerhungryperformance.com (they have the Gryphon, a custom edge)
http://www.hypertech.com/
http://www.superchips.com/

And check this thread out.

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...9161:thumbsup:
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Thanks alot to all that responded. I think I understand now. New question is, are they a reliable way to gain HP standalone or is it more of providing a stable base for future modifications?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by Lenn
Thanks alot to all that responded. I think I understand now. New question is, are they a reliable way to gain HP standalone or is it more of providing a stable base for future modifications?
A tuner itself is a massive improvement over stock regardless, but adding some mods will help of course.

The custom tunes are the best route for mods. Your tune writer will take the ECU + all of the mods and squeeze the best performance out of all of the settings. If you do things like cai, exhaust, pulleys, fans, etc the tune helps you get more out of each mod. The generic program that FOrd puts in the computers is a shotgun approach to the varying gas quality's, driving styles, climates and so on.

When you find a great tuner and someone to write a program for it you make it more your own. Of course, for it to be set perfectly for YOUR truck, dyno tuning would be the way to go but a bit pricy. Dyno pulls range from 55-150 bucks a go.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Administrator

So, I need to find someone at a reputable shop that can write custom tune programs as well as one that has a chassis dyno. All this sounds like it adds up quick ($ wise).

Thanks a ton SinCity.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Originally Posted by Lenn
So, I need to find someone at a reputable shop that can write custom tune programs as well as one that has a chassis dyno. All this sounds like it adds up quick ($ wise).

Thanks a ton SinCity.
No, you do not have to dyno. Mine is not and most are not either. If your truck is lightly modded, there is little beneift to dyno tuning.

There are a bunch of tuners, some have more exp. than others. They email the tuned to you.

www.vmptuning.com is Justin, he is very good and I am pleased.
www.troyerperformance.com is Mike, he has a very good rep and I have a current order with him.

Those two do SCT tuning devices.

www.powerhungryperformance.com is Bill and he re-vamps the Edge into a Gryphon so it can take custom tunes and he has a very good rep as well.

Stock stuff like hypertech and bullydog are an improvement but nothing like custom tunes with your mods.

A good tuner with some custom tunes will be above $400 but it is some of the best money I have spent and I think most will agree on this site and others.

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 12-10-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Everything Sin is telling you is correct. However, unless you are going for the fully custom idea, you dont really need a custom tune for your truck.

I have a superchip and am very happy with it. Internet updates, and the option to get a custom tune if i ever get a bank account and puts lots of mods on my truck.

If you're going to be drag racing the truck, get a custom tune to work with the mods, if not, but an edge or superchip or whatever. Ask around, every tuner has their problems. I love my superchip, while other constantly bash it. My cousin has the same truck I do and his edge caused problems with his truck, mine runs perfect. You can get problems ironed out through the manufacturer, but you have to be patient. I think most will agree with that.

Oh, and yes, I think the tuner is worth the $$$$, the larger the motor, the more potential for raw power.

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me understand "tunes"?