Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

camshaft timing over advanced

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft timing over advanced

I can't read any longer. I can't find the answer to my specific problem.

I installed the livernois phaser lock-outs a while ago (approx 2 years ago), and haven't had much problem. Since then, I've moved to Tucson where emissions are serious business.

I can't pass an emissions test because my MIL is on throwing P0011 and P0021 codes. Ford won't help me because of the lock-outs I put it. They want to tear into my front end, go back stock with everything and then see what the trucks problems are. I don't agree with that since we all know that's expensive.

Is it worth it to try replacing the VCT solenoids and see if the codes disappear?

I don't notice any problems while driving. I just want to get my truck registered. Is it automatic that I will fail emissions if its throwing those codes?

I even tried to see if I needed to re-tune the computer with the tune Livernois sent. It just gave me an error code and said to call the tech line about a 'code 90'.

Anybody got anything? I hope someone says to replace VCT solenoids as a first shot.

-08 SCab 5.4L triton-
Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

First time I have heard of a code after the lockouts are installed. How long has the codes been there and the CEL on? Did you call Livernois about the code 90?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 AM

I know, that's why I'm worried! Codes are roughly couple weeks old.

My registration has now lapsed. I need an emissions test asap.

Haven't called livernois yet. Will do so first thing in morning. I'm also gonna pull the solenoids and visually check them. I hope that's the issue. It's just weird that both would be bad unless something else was wrong. My pressure seems good. 25 at idle and around 50 when cruising. It might also be worth it to change the oil.

I'm stressing.

Last edited by smhopper140; 06-28-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:12 PM

*Update*

Spoke to Dave from Livernois. He was very helpful. These were his remarks:

It's unlikely that anything mechanical has changed. However, once it was taken into Ford here in Tucson, they may have flashed the computer, which would have deleted or erased the custom tune that this kit came with.

He told me to first contact the Ford technician and verify whether it was. Once I know that, he told me to contact SCT Performance since the 'code 90' it gave me on the tuner is not one of Livernois' codes. (This kit was installed about 2 years ago). He said they will be able to help me further and possibly reset my tuner remotely which would allow me to install tune again to clear up these P0011/P0021 codes.

I will update as I get info in case anybody else ever has this problem.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:54 PM

SCT claims my tuner is not one of theirs.

Livernois claims that Ford flashed my computer back to factory standards which deleted my program and now my tuner can't communicate with it based on the code 90 the tuner gave me when I plugged it back in.

Ford told me they didn't flash anything or set anything back to OEM.

Livernois told me they are lying based on the code 90.

Now I'm waiting on a call back from a livernois tech about possibly remotely reprogramming my tuner so it can communicate with my truck and reinstall the program.

What a run-a-round im getting!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Has anybody ever lost their custom program purchased with their phaser lockout kit and had to get tuner reprogrammed to their truck to reinstall tune??
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

smhopper140; I'm Daniel and we spoke the second time on the phone, as I commented when we spoke.

Code 90 on the MyCalibrator device contains the following

Description: The MyCalibrator is married to this vehicle, but does not recognize the calibration in the PCM.

Unit Display “Vehicle calibration updated by service facility.”

Status
Vehicle: Unchanged
PCM: Unchanged
FPP3: Unchanged

Causes: The PCM was updated or replaced by a Service Facility

With the error message in mind, there has to be an update that Ford have put on the truck that in turn has wiped the patched ECM software the MYCalibrator put on there and replaced it with a stock update that the MyCalibrator does not recognize.

Rest assured that we are going above and beyond to help you out, we are actually working with the manufacturer of the device to find a way to remotely update the device so that it can repatch the ECM. We'll have an update for you soon

Your situation is a good reminder for all customers of the lockout kits out there. Please, please, please, if the truck is going to a dealer, repair facility or anywhere where the ECM might have the slightest chance of being accessed, it is very important that you flash the truck back to stock first so that when you get the truck back, you can simply put the lockout program back on there.
The following users liked this post:
smhopper140 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 05:19 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Thats why I'm against lockouts

I questioned the lockout company about this and if I lost my pcm or ford reset my tune if it went in for repair . I didn't get a good answer ,it should be a lifetime download for $ 700, it is not .
Besides when I opened my engine it had jumped time due to bad guides ,one valve roller was off on number 8 cly , lash adjusters were bad all pointing to bad seals on tensioners and a poor oil pump . I changed it all ,it runs like a top now .
Detuning your engine is not going to fix mechanical problems . Its a pacifier . Do the final 5.4 l 3v fix . Mine cost $1200- 1400 with me doing it oem parts .
I could have cleaned cam phasors put new tensioners and new guides for much less but chain was eating cover and at least one roller bad and I could have replaced one lash adjuster . Too risky after all the work getting to it . The improved oil pump was only $100.But if money was really tight I could have done it for half that . The cloyes kit may be a lot cheaper .
Old 06-30-2016, 05:28 PM

Thanks Daniel, I spoke with Anthony and I appreciate all the help.

It is now clear to me that I should have been more careful in regard to taking program off before taking truck in for service.

I hope this is a big lesson learned for anybody else. I was a dummy and have paid for it now.

Thanks a lot for your help Daniel/Livernois!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:45 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by smhopper140
Thanks Daniel, I spoke with Anthony and I appreciate all the help.

It is now clear to me that I should have been more careful in regard to taking program off before taking truck in for service.

I hope this is a big lesson learned for anybody else. I was a dummy and have paid for it now.

Thanks a lot for your help Daniel/Livernois!
No, no, no not a dummy at all my good man. Working with vehicle ECMs isn't a simple task, more than likely you thought that leaving it on to take it to the dealer would be better for the engine (you wouldn't be wrong there), just before you hand the keys over flashing it back to stock is the way to go.

As long as you got everything sorted that's all that matters If Anthony or myself can do anything to help or if you have any questions, let us know. We are here for you.

Have a wonderful Holiday weekend if we don't talk to you!

Quick Reply: camshaft timing over advanced