Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Camper Top/Shell/Cap Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camper Top/Shell/Cap Question

I have an 05 Screw and have been looking for a used top considering the new ones cost an arm and a leg. I found a really nice one on ebay but it fits the 2003 bodystyle. I measured the bed on mine and the measurements are the same, maybe just a 1/2 off on the length considering where you measure it from. Does anyone know if the ones made for the 03 will fit an 05? I'm sure the body lines won't be the same but I need something to put on so I can haul my dogs. They're getting to wander in the cab and I don't want scratches on the KR leather. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Cant be certain but if they size up it should work. You might have to mount it differently thats the only problem i can see. Cant say for sure but should fit might have to jerry rig it though.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to rock a camper shell as well. If it was white i'de probably still have it too. As for alignment, I am relatively sure the width on the two trucks may be different. Just wait for one to go for sale locally etc. Being prepared is the best thing to do when one pops up. Post a wanted add as well.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks for all your help. I've been looking for a while and haven't found one yet for my truck I have the 5.5' bed and all I find is for the 6.5' bed, quoted one new and it was going to run $2000 plus tax. Not willing to spend that. Even the used ones are here are running $800. I found the 2003 model one on ebay for $150 so I thought it might be worth a try.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM

I sold my 5.5 camper shell ARE with pop out windows and screens and sliders with key and lock etc in really good shape for 620. It was just sitting in my frontyard as I take it off for off road use. Also you might want to consider how they sit on the beds. My bed rail is wider(or so it looks) than the older styles and I took off my plastic bed rails for it to sit on my bed or fiberglass. it has an outer groove that rested in the groove of the factory bedside along with my fiberglass.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM

that suck man...good luck finding one...i just got a new ARE CX series topper for mine but its a 6.5 ft bed for 1200........good luck
Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Bruiser

I watched craigslist for a year for one and just got one in my color (Blue), size (6.5) and in great condition for $500. I had to drive 60 miles to buy it 4 hours after it was posted and they had 4 people coming after me to look at it.

I can tell you that the base of the Leer I bought is formed to the exact contours of the top of the bed and the lines match up with the back of the cab and bed perfectly. I dont think a fiberglass top with a molded base like that would fit a truck well even if it was within an inch of the size.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by zipty06
Thanks for all your help. I've been looking for a while and haven't found one yet for my truck I have the 5.5' bed and all I find is for the 6.5' bed, quoted one new and it was going to run $2000 plus tax. Not willing to spend that. Even the used ones are here are running $800. I found the 2003 model one on ebay for $150 so I thought it might be worth a try.
Really??? $2000???
Last year I bought a new Leer for my 06 with 8' bed w/carpet and tilt out slider for about $1300. Without the tilt window and carpet it wouldve been around $1100.
I didnt want to spend that much either so I looked for a used one for a couple of months before buying the new one. I never found one that was worth buying. I did find one a few hours away but it was the wrong color and by the time I got a good matching paint job on it, it wouldve cost the same as a new one.
Have you considered an aluminum cap? They cost less and they weigh less (one fit person can remove it vs. two strong people for fiberglass) . The dog wont care what its made of.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM

I looked for an aluminum one but can't find one that size. I don't care what its made of either and the fact that it would weigh less is a plus. I had a Jeep Wrangler with a hardtop and that thing was a pain to get off and on so I figured the camper tops would be the same way if not worse. I've been looking for a while and found one for $300 and had already planned to go get it but the brakes went out on my husbands truck and they had to be fixed so I got bumped out of my camper top for brakes. O well. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled and if worse comes to worse, I'll just chop off my right arm and leg and get the new one.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM

has anyone tried the bestop soft top???

Quick Reply: Camper Top/Shell/Cap Question