Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Camper on Supercrew

Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camper on Supercrew

I have a 2005 Supercrew 5.4L w/tow package, 6" lift,4.10s and 35" BFG ATs.Does anyone have experience w/ placing a camper on their Supercrew ?I'm looking at used ones for full size short bed trucks.They weigh around 1500 lbs.I'm concerned w/ stability and fit.

Last edited by mcbullitt; 11-28-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcbullitt
I have a 2005 Supercrew 5.4L w/tow package, 6" lift,4.10s and 35" BFG ATs.Does anyone have experience w/ placing a camper on their Supercrew ?I'm looking at used ones for full size short bed trucks.They weigh around 1500 lbs.I'm concerned w/ stability and fit.
i have a camper and never heard of any that weigh 1500 lbs . I have a 21' one slide out (weight 6000 loaded ) weight distrabution system and prodigy brake contoller and i think thats my max . I tavel with it to the mountains and It's doing 4000 rpm at times tring to get up the hills be real carefull on the weight of the camper . I recomend you go to rvusa for camper help . I have a 2005 5.4 3v tow package extracab
Old 11-29-2008, 02:46 PM

rvusa would answer all your camping ?
Old 11-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by lasoyatang
i have a camper and never heard of any that weigh 1500 lbs . I have a 21' one slide out (weight 6000 loaded ) weight distrabution system and prodigy brake contoller and i think thats my max . I tavel with it to the mountains and It's doing 4000 rpm at times tring to get up the hills be real carefull on the weight of the camper . I recomend you go to rvusa for camper help . I have a 2005 5.4 3v tow package extracab
I think he's talking about a truck camper. (one that goes in the bed of the truck)
Old 11-29-2008, 06:59 PM

I personally don't have direct experience with a truck camper, but when I was young my dad had one that he put on a F-250. As long as the weight of the camper is less than the load rating of the truck you should be ok. But keep in mind that your truck will handle VERY DIFFERENTLY. First it will have a much higher center of gravity. Next, the weight will be much more. Figure the 1500lbs, plus water, plus clothes, plus food, plus dishes, plus, plus, plus. So make sure you don't go over the limits as it's real easy to load up a camper. Braking will be much greater, and starting will be much slower.

If I was you, I'd negotiate the deal, provisional on your truck handling the camper. I'd load the camper on the truck before closing on the deal, just to make sure it's not heavier than they claim. AC and extras can add alot of weight also.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info,I was discussing a truck camper until my wife found out.She wants a trailer so I'll be looking for a light weight unit.Does anyone know at what weight does your trailer need brakes or do they all come with them?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info,I was discussing a truck camper until my wife found out.She wants a trailer so I'll be looking for a light weight unit.Does anyone know at what weight does your trailer need brakes or do they all come with them?
Usually anything over 1000lbs or 1500lbs needs brakes in most states. Just get a decent brake controller and don't worry about it as your truck is ready to go since you already have the tow package. FYI, I'm also looking at campers, but I'm leaning towards a toy hauler so I can take my Harley with me. The thing is that I'm looking for one that doesn't feel like a cargo trailer with bunks. I'm leaning towards the Fun Finder XT-190 but they're fairly expensive. Another option that I like is the 23' Outback Kangaroos.

If you don't need a toyhauler, I'd suggest that you shop around as there are lots of trailers under 25' that are nice and at good prices. And if you plan on long trips, you might find that slightly bigger will be nice. But like you, I wouldn't go too large as that causes all kinds of other issues (MPG, parking, etc)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camper on Supercrew