Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam phasers need to be fixed but whats the difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cam phasers need to be fixed but whats the difference

Cam phasers need to be fixed but whats the difference between Ford parts and other aftermarket parts? should i do the whole kit or just the phasers? Anyother advice is appreciated. thanks
Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you see the sticky at top of this forum? The Final Repair Guide to 5.4 Cam Phaser Tick/Knock Sound
It is a long thread, like 270 pages, but a lot of useful info and real experiences in it.
I am having timing issues with my 05 Screw, I might get lucky and only need the VCT solenoid. I am installing it today so we will know soon. But if my truck needs a phaser, with its high miles I will probably do the whole timing kit. Whether you need it or not depends on your particular vehicle. If you only need phasers you can do that without the total teardown of the front of the engine. Phasers can be done with just valve cover off using a wedge to lock timing chain. From what I read the whole timing kit job is a good couple day project.
From what I get out of the forums I have read, it would be wise to use the Ford phasers, not aftermarket. Flip through some of the other threads here and you will see why I say that.
If you have a little time I would flip through the sticky I mentioned above, just read a few peoples issues,successes and failures. There's a lot of good stuff there and it answered a lot of my questions. I have been reading all I can about the VVT system in these trucks trying to educate myself in how they work and why they fail. These forum threads are a great tool!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by coolride
Did you see the sticky at top of this forum? The Final Repair Guide to 5.4 Cam Phaser Tick/Knock Sound
It is a long thread, like 270 pages, but a lot of useful info and real experiences in it.
I am having timing issues with my 05 Screw, I might get lucky and only need the VCT solenoid. I am installing it today so we will know soon. But if my truck needs a phaser, with its high miles I will probably do the whole timing kit. Whether you need it or not depends on your particular vehicle. If you only need phasers you can do that without the total teardown of the front of the engine. Phasers can be done with just valve cover off using a wedge to lock timing chain. From what I read the whole timing kit job is a good couple day project.
From what I get out of the forums I have read, it would be wise to use the Ford phasers, not aftermarket. Flip through some of the other threads here and you will see why I say that.
If you have a little time I would flip through the sticky I mentioned above, just read a few peoples issues,successes and failures. There's a lot of good stuff there and it answered a lot of my questions. I have been reading all I can about the VVT system in these trucks trying to educate myself in how they work and why they fail. These forum threads are a great tool!
You keep saying "it". I thought I read in another post you have a 05 5.4 so shouldn't you be saying "them"? If I'm wrong about the model sorry just don't want you to miss one. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by coolride
yep i saw it and i am in the process of reading it. thanks for the advice i appreciate it!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Yes, I did say IT. I have coded P0022, which indicates timing being retarded on driver side cam. I only changed the VCT solenoid on driver side as I am not confident it is all I need. I got the solenoid changed a little while ago. Going to take for a long ride and see if my issues get any better? While i had the solenoid cap out of the valve cover I poked around at the timing chain. Seems like the lower end of my timing chain is pretty loose on driver side. Guessing I need new chains and guides. The other reason I only replaced 1 VCT solenoid, is that I plan to install the Livernois lockout kit if I have to dig in that deep to do chains. my truck will no longer require those solenoids if I go that route. It looks like that will be the road I take. I will give it a chance and see if this new solenoid gives me any positive results. If not, we will be going for a high perf oil pump, timing set and Livernois kit with tuner. I won't be in there again!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:28 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

^^^Thats the best route, high flow oil pump, Livernois lockouts and tune. You can even stack a PHP, 5star, etc tune on top of the Livernois tune and never lose a single HP or any torque. I plan to take that route if I ever need to.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 PM

I got kind of weird results today. I replaced the driver side VCT solenoid. It showed promise. I drove around today, seems to run better, smoother and wasn't having fits at stop signs. I started to think maybe I got lucky and just the solenoid worked. After I ran the truck a couple hours, I can't believe it worked. Then I stopped and shut the truck off for a trip to the mens room. Get back out and start the truck, before I get it in gear I hear the rattle coming. Then comes the shaking, and it stalls. Fire it back up, rattling away, give it some rpm and it sounds better but get down under 1500rpm it starts rattling. I drove around some, by now nowhere near home, and after a few minutes it clears up and back to good again. Drove around some city and then a shot of highway, more city, all good. Stop at lights, runs smooth. Until I shut it off again. I wonder if the timing chain tensioner is just not good? Or the chain is stretched? Or more? Looks like I will have to round up parts to get this fixed. I guess we are digging in soon!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:00 AM

I did my timing chains yesterday, and a new oil pump. Driver side timing chain was really loose, looks like tensioner was leaking where it mounts to block also. My guides were good on both sides, but worn, which is to be expected. But I could pull the left chain an easy inch off the guides it was so loose. Lucky it didn't slap and break anything. All new stuff in now and all is good, finishing up the re-assembly today. My phasers got re-used with locks in them. There will be no more timing issues here! SCT tuner and custom tuns from MPT will have me cruising
Old 05-02-2016, 04:40 PM

so i decided to have a local garage do mine. I got nervous at all the stuff i'd have to remove so i just said i'll pay for it. $1400 to do everything with ford parts so i said its his to do for me. thanks for all your input everyone.

Quick Reply: Cam phasers need to be fixed but whats the difference