Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam Phaser lockout/limiter??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam Phaser lockout/limiter??

I was talking to a customer yesterday that had a 2004 F150 lariat. He had 80000 miles on it, and I asked him how many times he has changed the cam phasers. He told me once, and so i had to ask, how he got them to not rattle. He mentioned cam lockers. So I looked it up today, and all i can find is lockers for the 4.6.
Anyone else hear about these? any experience with them?
I found a link to these on a 4.6. I would think they work the same.

http://www.modularfords.com/2008/10/...aser-limiters/
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I too am interested in this as the diesel sound drives me NUTS, I know it aint hurtin nothin but it gets really annoyin.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

^^ Who told you it dont hurt nothing? It throws the timing off, and everything esle out of whack. Eventually causing motor destruction. Two weeks ago I went back into service, and a guy was working on a 04 and he had completly worn through the timing chain.
I take mine into the shop every month to see if the noise is any worse. So far they have told me its not knocking enough to worry. But I will need them soon. Right now its a light knock. He said when it starts to rattle and knock, I may want to get it fixed
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cole_ford
I was talking to a customer yesterday that had a 2004 F150 lariat. He had 80000 miles on it, and I asked him how many times he has changed the cam phasers. He told me once, and so i had to ask, how he got them to not rattle. He mentioned cam lockers. So I looked it up today, and all i can find is lockers for the 4.6.
Anyone else hear about these? any experience with them?
I found a link to these on a 4.6. I would think they work the same.

http://www.modularfords.com/2008/10/...aser-limiters/
Those look like broken parts waiting to happen...springs have no place in an area that is going to see that much use.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cole_ford
^^ Who told you it dont hurt nothing? It throws the timing off, and everything esle out of whack. Eventually causing motor destruction. Two weeks ago I went back into service, and a guy was working on a 04 and he had completly worn through the timing chain.
I take mine into the shop every month to see if the noise is any worse. So far they have told me its not knocking enough to worry. But I will need them soon. Right now its a light knock. He said when it starts to rattle and knock, I may want to get it fixed
Ive always been under the impression that it wasnt hurtin nothin...at least thats what almost everything i have read has said, if it was detrimental to the life of the motor wouldnt Ford recall it? if not thats just absolutely sickening to even think about.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bossman15
if it was detrimental to the life of the motor wouldnt Ford recall it? if not thats just absolutely sickening to even think about.
Yep Ford is really stepping up to the plate, look how they have handled the 5.4 plug issue.

Ford is hoping the vehicles will go out of warranty before they have to fix them, and will only recall a vehicle on a safety defect that is going to cost more in law suits than fixing, or at the direction of the government.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM

alright so what are my options for a fix? does anybody know anything about these lockouts? i cant afford the 1500 dollars or so the dealer will charge to replace it for it to just go back to the way it is now.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Heres the thing about springs. Arent the cam phasers spring loaded?? Thats whats causing them to fail in the first place. Correct me if Im wrong.

Im in the same boat. I dont want to spend $900(My employee cost), just to have it come back again a few months down the road.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 AM

So hey FORD, WHAT THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?!?!?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

I asked a tech that ive gotten to trust, and he said I wouldnt need the lockouts if I just change the oil at regular intervals I shouldnt ever have a problem again. I find that hard to believe entirely. Cuz it seems to me many of you have done that since day one, and still have had problems.

Quick Reply: Cam Phaser lockout/limiter??